View Single Post
Old 11-03-2007, 10:32 PM   #120
Tommycat
>^..^<

Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jediphile
Note: You shouldn't doublepost. It's not allowed here. I suggest you simply edit your last post instead. That's what I do.
Meh it was a response to posts that came after I started mine, and I was a bit lazy, My bad.

Quote:
Not sure who you're addressing here, but just in case it's me, let me put it this way.

Yes, stereotyping is bad. Then again, I don't believe I've in any painted any MMO player like that. If people like MMOs, then fine. But I don't. And given how frequently I have to read people talking how crap TSL is, how much Nihilus sucks, and how much Obsidian ruined KotOR - all statements that I happen to feel quite different about - I don't feel particularly compelled to be shy with my own opinion on the matter. I can respect that people have a different opinion, but it does come at the price that people respect mine. Suffice it to say that I don't always feel it's the case, in which case I'm not going to bother explaining why I don't like MMORPGs. If people are not polite, then why bother? It's not as if my argument will change anyone's opinion... Indeed, bitter experience has taught me that blatant flamebait is often the only reward for that.

If people like MMOs and consolegames, fair enough. But I don't, and I'm not going to apologize for it either.
Actually this was not directed at you, it was directed at the comment from Henz, that he doesn't do MMO's because he has a girlfriend. But it was also general enough that we should respect eachother's preferences PERIOD. Without the attacks and stereotypes. If he had said it and instead said that he doesn't play MMO's because he isn't a retard it would be just as insulting. I just prefer not to have people using a stereotype to make their point. YOU on the other hand provide REASONS you would rather not have an MMO that stem from personal preference and logical background, so that comment was not directed at you.

Quote:
If you're playing a pure stats-building exercise, sure. Frankly I can't be bothered, though. If I want that, then I play tabletop RPGs, which are still far more interesting, because that at least has a GM dedicated to the specific characters of our game rather than the "one size fit all"-programming of an MMORPG. SPRPGs are more like interactive novels. That allows for drama and depth of characters in addition to the fights. In MMORPGs you tend to have only the latter. For example, in an MMORPG, the exile would rock as a character, because he has unique powers. How are you going to convey the burden of being a hole in the force and the personal loss without the cutscenes, lengthy dialogues, etc.? Diablo II was oozing with atmosphere, yet it was still just hack 'n slash. And I hate it when a swarm of insects drop a suit of fullplate armor upon death...
I have to disagree(you knew I would though, haha). An MMO could very well have no stat building at all, but in fact could be finding pieces of a larger puzzle. The fate of Revan for instance. You may find clues to his where-abouts through the entire galaxy. It could be in attempting to discover the path the exile took as she(canonically the Exile is a female.... Yeah I hate that too... Revan would have made more sense as a woman than the Exile) left Machor V. You make choices that lead you more light/dark. You can even learn new techniques from random Jedi/Sith. Heck you could even have it to where you can make Force "Recipes" as I like to think of them(though I won't go into too much detail on it unless you want to know). Loot tables can be fixed so that the right animal drops the right item. If you kill a bug, it could drop, "Insect Exoskeleton" which may be used by a crafter to make "Insect Exoskeleton Armor" so the issue of what creature drops what is merely a tweak to the loot table. Of course any armor that a Cannok drops, I would have to wonder about it's effectiveness haha.

Quote:
So, if I understand you correctly:
Good luck, I hardly understand myself at times... I can tend to ramble on some times.. I mean Jolee might have told ME to shut up.

Quote:
1. This area is constantly contested (= no persistent change, since the enemy could take over tomorrow)
Yes, and no. It could be semi-persistent. It may be that you help the Mercs take control of Khoonda, but then if you have a change of heart you can free the people you enslaved before(or like Vader, enslave the people you freed). Of course they could also make it so that after the area has been secured the former leader would go into hiding(week or more until that person shows up again and begins recruiting for the Free Khoonda Alliance). Nothing says you would have to have it constantly open for regime change.

Quote:
2. Daily battles (how long before that becomes old hat? Sounds fairly boring to me...)
Nah It could be a server event. Monthly/bimonthly/semiannual event that changes the landscape for a while. You're over simplifying it. Keep in mind that in an MMO it doesn't have to be free it right now. It could be perform some tasks for people to earn the trust of the Free Khoonda Alliance, then when the time is right join the battle to free Khoonda.

Quote:
3. Constant escalation (mercenaries, then settlers, then jedi, then sith, then... Sure makes me wonder how big the jedi order and the sith armies would have to be keep that up in the long run, and just for one fairly minor planet too. Talk about suspense of disbelief... or even jumping the shark...)
Again a Massive oversimplification, and taking the battle of Khoonda way too far. For instance: There's a Jedi enclave there. This means the Jedi are there(well were before somebody felt it would be a good place to leave an arsenal of exploding weapons). When the people are free, and jedi are welcome, you get people who react favorably to jedi and light side force users. When the Mercs and Sith are in power, you get people who fear Jorce users. Though to be honest I thought they placed too much emphasis on Dantooine in the two games to begin with. BUT it was used as an example. It could be done as a Galactic campaign. Turn the planets to Sith rule and the Sith control the galaxy. Free the planets and the sith lose power. I could very easily have used the Talia/Vaklu Czerka/Ithorians Cerka/Wookies Czerka/Sandpeople though those would be only small examples(well maybe not Onderon). Escalations occur through the galaxy. Small planets turning to the will of the Sith... then larger ones, then next thing you know planet cities... But at any rate, we're talking about a game that we have no idea about, and I'm brainstorming ideas. It's easy for me to come up with them, but whether Bioware implements them is out of my control(that is if bioware is even working on the game we're thinking of, Heck they may even be making KotORIII as a SP game and not KotOR the MMO in conjunction with LA and the MMO is Chickenrun).
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,