View Single Post
Old 11-05-2007, 12:15 PM   #170
Jediphile
Persona non grata
 
Jediphile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Avery
Yeah, but I doubt LA is going to read your post and say "Looks like we have made some people angry... we should stop now." Yes, they will alienate you. Thats what game production is all about: Aiming for a particular audience and not caring much about the rest since they know it would be foolhearty to try and win them over. It is also about making a game that will in turn make them the most money from their target audience.
I remember this argument. It's exactly the same argument that the powers that be at Paramount made when they declared it "necessary" to "reinvigorate" the Star Trek franchise by going back in time and doing the Enterprise show, even if it alienated the fanbase, because they needed attract a new audience. Result? The show was cancelled and the franchise crashed and burned...

Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Avery
Maybe one day humanity will create a game that will make all people happy...

You cannot make everybody happy. You just happen to fit in with the group of people that do not like the idea.
So you shouldn't even try because you can't succeed? That's like saying I should respect nobody's opinions here, since somebody is likely to be offended in any event, and so I might just as well not bother to try in the first place...

Well, have it your way, but I disagree, and I will bother to try and not offend anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Avery
Again, you cannot please everyone. Sure, set it in the future. You are alienating another group of people. Set it further in the past... yet again alienating. I hate to say it, but this is not about you. At all. All I am getting from your posts is that you want it your way, or you will abandon all hope and possibly throw a fit. Please, correct me if I am reading your posts wrong.
Actually, I'm far more likely to throw a fit over people on the internet who make what I consider arrogant presumptions about what I do or do not think...

Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Avery
Do you know the plot after TSL? Do you know everything that happens far and in-between? No, and you cannot pretend you do. There is plenty of room for possible plot. You simply deny that one can exist.
Nonsense. I have long, long since posted my own speculation for a K3 plot. If I denied that a plot could exist, that would scarcely be the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Avery
So, it will be dead to you. Do you honestly, -honestly- think you not getting the game will cause any major problems for the MMO? Do you really think you are that important?
Me? Absolutely not. But..

1. I'm not the only one voicing this position.

2. Do you honestly - honestly - think that you liking the idea of the MMORPG will make LA do it, even if lots of fans say they hate the idea?

No, I'm not that important, but then neither are you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Avery
So, which is better? Hmmm... I'm going to have to go with losing you as a customer to pull in a larger fan-base and create a cash-cow. Again, this is not about you. They make an MMO in another time block, LA will lose and gain fans. That is how the gaming industry works.
That's just what Paramount argued for the Enterprise tv-show... Alienating the hardcore fanbase is usually a recipe for disaster, because they are the meat and potatoes of your industry that keeps you alive. Dreaming about tapping into the cashcow market of WoW or its ilk is no doubt tempting to LA, I understand that, but if they step all over their own fanbase in their lust to cash in on that market, then they could easily be putting a noose around their own necks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Avery
Because making an MMO has potential for much, much more money? Yes, it will be an entirely different game. So was World of Warcraft to the Warcraft games. Now Blizzard pulls in over 135 million a month in fees. They lost some fans from the original Warcraft games, but gained over 9 million players. I'd say thats a pretty good trade-off.
No, it's not. Because K3 is a pure excuse to print money - lots and lots of us will buy it. We will be very skeptical about the MMORPG that has the gall to replace it, however, and so the game has to struggle to create its own entirely new fanbase.

As you say, it's a different game. Why then won't you acknowledge that this also says something about the fanbase? The people who like the KotOR games are SPRPG-players. If they were not, they would not have played the games. You're not going to get the fans of EVE Online or WoW to suddenly jump ship simply because you release a MMORPG that says both "Star Wars" and KotOR on it, because it's going to be a non-factor to them. If it's good, then the MMORPG-crowd will play it, but they'll do so whether it says KotOR on the box or not. The reverse is not the case, however - the fanbase of the KotOR games is not going to play it automatically just because it says KotOR on the box, because - as you say - it's a different game, and we'll all know that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Avery
And who knows. Maybe the MMO will bomb and they will decide to go along with a Kotor 3 SPRPG when the riots begin to grow in number.
Unlikely, because the fanbase will then be so alienated and disappointed that KotOR is, essentially, dead. After all, LA refused to reward us for our loyalty to the SPRPGs, so why should we buy any of their products? Loyalty goes both ways. It's a pact. If LA won't honor it, then why should I or anyone else?

I agree completely with The Architect (yeah, I know, what a surprise...): "why exactly would someone want to fix something that ain't broke?"


"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built" - Kreia

Visit my KotOR blog at Deadly Forums.
Jediphile is offline   you may: quote & reply,