View Single Post
Old 11-06-2007, 01:46 PM   #194
Millnsy
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by importedbeer
Thanks for the welcome. Yes, I agree that it *could* be a Starwars based MMORPG. My arguments were based off the assumption that it would be a KOTOR based MMORPG and if I have made typos or mistakes alluding to the implausibility of it being a Starwars based IP, I apologize.

Oh it is entirely possible I am wrong. I base it more on the feel of what they say based on over a dozen threads on their secret MMORPG...because they have gone through such lengths to dismiss that they will make a KOTOR based game, and keep talking about their "original" premise. It is possible that they are actually talking about an original premise within a Starwars related universe-and going around our arguments that way- but they are usually not that sneaky

I am a terrible judge of mood and nuance though, so my opinions are usually way off base, but in the forums I did get a strong sense that it was an original IP or atleast an IP that was new to its fans- which neither KOTOR or Starwars is. I also thought it relatively less likely that EA would base its acquisition on the base of an IP owned by someone else.

You make a valid point. Again my reasoning for this is a bit complex, so please bear with me

Bioware is still trying to keep its PC base happy because they have a humongous roster of existing fans who can be leveraged if they go the MMORPG route. Unlike many others, one of the most important facts about Bioware is that they can count on bringing in new people into the MMORPG genre, instead of solely stealing from other IPs.

Now imagine I am a developer. Sure MMORPGs are a huge, attractive market. I want to launch one. On one hand- an existing IP is a surer bet, and I totally agree that this could be an existing IP.

However an existing IP based on KOTOR- far riskier given their existing fan base. There is polarity in this concept- some people will embrace it- some people will hate it (atleast until there is an official ending to the KOTOR story), and given that Bioware is still investing in its PC base with games like Dragon Age, it doesn't not seem like a good strategic sense to get them riled.

Taking the universe beyond the traditional confines of a SRPG is not as much of the issue as much as the fact that Obsidian- unknowingly- has created a rather sticky situation with their cliffhanger Kotor 2 ending. If Bioware wants to leverage its base to boost their MMORPG as well as maintain them for future releases, they will know from their forums and feedback that touching KOTOR and potentially even the universe is more polarizing than taking another healthy IP- perhaps even a Lucas based IP and running with that instead. Again, just my opinion.
why do u all reckon it's lucas arts makin a mmo?? it isnt it's bioware and la have nothing to do with it, that mmo has been gettin made since 2005 and is due out 2009. on bioware the day they announced there teamin up with la they put the next gen project on the drop menu. so there u go.
Millnsy is offline   you may: quote & reply,