View Single Post
Old 12-05-2007, 08:50 PM   #2
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Perception of baiting is extremely subjective. What one person considers baiting another person may consider as a direct approach. Baiters act the way they do for a myriad of reasons. However, it's important to realize that it's not the baiter that determines our individual response, it's us as individuals who determine our response. We're each responsible for what we put in our own posts, and just because someone baits doesn't mean we're required to respond.

Here's some very simple ways to deal with this.
a. Use the report post feature for offensive posts. Note that what you consider baiting and what the moderator staff considers baiting may be different.
b. Ignore the baiter and simply don't respond to the post
c. Put the baiter on your ignore list
d. Leave the thread/forum until you cool off and can deal with it more objectively.
e. If you choose to respond, make sure it's not a flame/bait. Double check your post, or let it sit a few hours or days, _before_ you hit the reply button.

Flaming someone who has baited you is against forum rules, so the staff highly recommends that you not flame when you see a baiting post. You are not required to read an offensive post. You certainly aren't required to respond to one.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,