View Single Post
Old 12-07-2007, 12:23 PM   #3
Nancy Allen``
Banned

Perception of baiting is subjective, and I think that is part of the problem. Repeated labelling of being a neocon for example, or reactionary Christian, these might not be seen as baiting but if that is not their intended use, then why the need to use such a label?

Yes, it is up to us to control how we act, and were it just me, okay, but I see others who are baited into being hostile. That is a large reason why people try and make baiting comments. I wish it was as easy as just being able to ignore it, I really do, unfortunetly it can be anything but. What about when the percieved baiting is consistent? It shouldn't be an excuse for acting hostile but it is at the very least a reason for it, however fair it might be.

With reporting posts, as you said what is considered baiting is subjective, and one of the things I find, certainly one of my failings, is that when you don't see anything done then the temptation is to take matters into your own hands. That's wrong, no question, but as I think it has been shown that's what can and does happen. On that matter flaming posts and hostile replies are verboten, and rightfully so. No mention of the baiting posts themselves. Are they against the rules? If not then considering the problems they cause why not? I am thinking it's because it is the responsibility of people not to post hostile replies rather than to not post baiting comments in the first place, but please, correct me if I'm wrong.
Nancy Allen`` is offline   you may: quote & reply,