View Single Post
Old 01-27-2008, 11:44 PM   #18
southern_fox
Rookie

Quote:
sorry to spoil the fun but, have you ever considered this:

the more ideas we come up with for a KOTOR3, we ruin it more and more for ourselve sif it ever comes out... obviously lucasarts does pay attention to their official forums and probably gets a few ideas from fans, and with all these ideas, we coudl end up gettign everything we want in the game, but the thing is, it won't be new to us. for example:

LUCASARTS IF YOU READ THIS POST LET ME LET YOU KNOW THAT I STILL THINK A KOTOR 3 WOULD BE TOTALLY AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If I understand you correctly, thats not really how publishers work.

Lucasarts rarely designs the actual game. There are some cases of in-house games made, but its rare. Typically, Lucasarts gives a license to an independent studio to design a title. They may play a role in giving loose guidelines, suggestions, requirements, benchmarks, and certain restrictions. These depend on the game, the deal struck, and sometimes the muscle that the studio has. Examples of studios include Bioware, Obsidian, Pandemic, and so on.

And I can't really think of any studio that uses online forums to cull stories from. Some ignore forums outright. Most have developers participate, but politely and silently ignore them as a source of ideas. Bioware's guys have said as much. Largely because studios have their own full-time writers, artists, designers that do that job, and fishing for ideas in forums is a big no-no. They might (depending on the developer) take comments to heart about certain things, and might fish for feedback/opinions, but I don't know of any cases of developers plundering forums for ideas.

Thats why I rarely participate in certain types of threads (and I won't name which types). With no disrespect to others, its often a waste of time. I learned that in the Galaxies forums before that game came out, when I first started using the internet. That place was a firestorm, and a good model for a lot of the insanity on many forums. People argue fiercely and publish their ideas as if they have a chance of being implemented, or argue over doctrines or "canon" of fantasy material, or some other nonsense.

Its pretty tame here though, and there are nice moderators.

Last edited by southern_fox; 01-27-2008 at 11:56 PM.
southern_fox is offline   you may: quote & reply,