View Single Post
Old 02-20-2008, 04:29 PM   #126
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Jones
I think this has been said earlier in this thread, what you personally like and what you do not, is not a choice. It's based on environment and experiences, just like with all other things you like/dislike. The only choices we make is how we gonna deal with it (i.e. denial, acceptance, shove it down the world's throat, etc).
How does one determine what they like and not like in life if not by making choices? Seriously, if you're going to take the position that we have no control over what we like and don't like, why argue we have any choices at all in the first place? I didn't like spinach at one point in my life, now I do. That pretty much qualifies as having a degree of control over what you like/don't like. Unless you can show where in the human genome are the irreversible markers that say "Ray can like this, but not this" then it's silly to argue that people have no control/choice over their likes and dislikes, not merely their reactions to said objects.

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,