View Single Post
Old 02-22-2008, 10:55 AM   #579
edlib
Close to the Edge

Current Game: DiRT 3; Forza 4
Hot Topic Starter 10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyan Farlander
Is there any point in micing all the string players individually? That seems kind of pointless to me.
You're preachin' to the choir here, son!

If I ever mic strings at all, it's by "desks" or maybe groups of 4.

But in the case of this show, there is a producer... and he is the boss of my boss's boss... VP of something-or-other important to the college.

So... yeah.

I'm here to just do what I'm told.

For an orchestra this size in my hall I wouldn't have a single mic on stage except for maybe vocalists. Period.

But I guess the logic for the recording is this: Leave yourself as many options as possible.
If we have a string player who is out of tune, time, or intonation, we can mute that single string player's track without affecting the rest. If you have section mics, there's little you can do, and have to live with the crummy player, or kill all the strings from that section in the mix.

The best solution is to hire players that don't suck... but that can be far trickier than just putting a mic on each one and sorting it out later in the mix.

It's all academic for this show anyway: we don't have enough mics, cables or channels to record each separately... so there will be section mics or groupings on tracks anyway.

But for this show last year, each string player had a pickup or a contact mic, and we took each individually.

But this year we have more than double the number of violinists we did last time. And more horn players. And a larger rhythm section. And a lot more singers.

And we ran out of space on stage then. And we used EVERY SINGLE MICROPHONE CABLE AND STAND then, too.

So I still don't know how we are going to make this work...

But I just do what I'm told. I'm not the ideas guy. He has a plan... I can't wait to see it.

Native XWA.Netter (Nutter?)
edlib is offline   you may: