View Single Post
Old 04-04-2008, 01:05 AM   #47
Tyrion
nothing is real

Location: no one I think is in my tree, I mean it must be high or low
LF Jester Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolInTheWave
Please people, be supportive of your own country. We are in a war and certain measures must be taken. This war isn't half as bad as WWII or Vietnam. At least the US citizens supported America's cause in WWII, and this led to a victory for democracy and peace for the world.
American citizens didn't support entering WWII until after Japan had bombed Pearl Harbor - up until then, the majority opinion was isolationism. The war, as well, had clear, specific definitions on who the enemy was. This war lacks that luxury, and therefore blind support is not possible.

Quote:
Vietnam was a different story though. Hippies and other Americans didn't support American troops one bit, we lost that war and now America is still technically still at war with Korea. If this war turns out to be like Vietnam we could have a nuclear crysis on our hands.
The sole aim of Vietnam was to prevent it from becoming a communist state and being the first domino to fall on the capitalist world. Despite the fact we lost the war, the dominoes did not tumble. That should raise the question of if the war was ever necessary in the first place...

Also, Korea was in an entirely seperate war than Vietnam. And that one had the support of the American people.

Quote:
If we pull out of Iraq now, terrorists groups could conquer other middle eastern countries, stock pile their resources and launch a full scale attack on American soil. It would be worse than 9/11 by far. So instead of complaining about the War on Terror, be supportive of the country that you live in, the troops that fight and defend our country. War is not a pretty thing, its just that this war seems worse because the press is all over in Iraq.
The best way to keep Middle Eastern countries from terrorist overtake is to make the region stable and prosperous. Attempting to invade every Middle Eastern country in an attempt to quell terrorists only results in more hatred towards the US.

Tyrion is offline   you may: quote & reply,