View Single Post
Old 04-15-2008, 04:50 AM   #42
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvstice
Deuteronomy repeatedly quotes God as saying "I will show mercy to whom I choose to show mercy." A statement that God loves some people more than others.
But no one enough to replace their missing limb? Even though certain species of reptile do it all the time. He loves the lizards more than us

Quote:
see #1
So rather than kill them off with a flood or brimstone, he starves them to death (this included children)? Quite the conundrum for the "omnibenevolent" myth.

Quote:
see #1
See above.

Quote:
God's words, in the words of men.
Huh? God's words or men's words. Which is it?

Quote:
It may not give a full or complete view of God or the universe in terms of specific tangible data. It's primarily stories about the Hebrews and early Christians and earlier people's relationships with God and vice versa, the historic details were afterthoughts at best.
Is this an argument for god needing a better editor for his next publication?

Quote:
Being in favor of something is not the same as not caring enough to intervene yourself to stop it. The Bible never states that God prefers a government system of slavery, but does go with the assumption that slavery's pretty thoroughly ingrained and goes with setting social rules on how to treat them, including a time and place they should be freed.
Well, some of them anyway. Odd that he would speak out on behalf of livestock but not people. Hmmm...

Quote:
Never really found an answer I like to this, and I've thought of it a lot. Most answers that make any sense point to God enjoying our suffering, indifferent to our suffering, or having a purpose to which the quality of life of good people are a secondary consideration. I do try to give benefit of the doubt, but .... *shrug* who can really say what's in God's mind.
Well, if nothing else, you've at least posed a pretty strong argument for why apologists are hypocrites.

Quote:
Part of the definition of miracle and part of the definition of science. A miracle is a 1 time event. Science is by definition replicable. If it can't be replicated, it can't be studied scientifically.
Not exactly true. If scientists can reproduce conditions that satisfactorily explain a phenomenon, then that is considered science. However since "miracles" cannot be ruled out via this method (or any other for that matter) I suppose your argument and my response are really moot points.

Quote:
I'm not owed anything in life. Why would I expect that?
Not a question of expectation: If he exists, why hasn't he physically appeared to you? Whether you feel it would be "owed" to you or not is really quite beside the point.

Quote:
I'm not catholic, so I'm not such a literalist on this matter and normally would say that the bread and wine represent some very uncomfortable events, the literal shedding of Christ's body and blood and a call to accept his actions and suffering as being on our behalf.
That's fine, however people that are catholic disagree with you.

Quote:
I'll assume the literal for the sake of this discussion. In the first millenia after Christ, most Christians were illiterate peasants, both in the Roman empire, and after. You are told that this becomes the blood and body of Christ. You'd feel revulsion. And this would weed out those that weren't really dedicated to the idea of becoming a Christian and really following Jesus.
Or it would help endear pagan converts that were used to consuming animal sacrifices. *shrugs*

Quote:
Because they're people.
^^^^ non-answer
If Christian couples are subject to the same divorce rates, martial problems, etc as non-christians, then what the heck's the point of the religious institution of marriage. Might as well just default to the legal status of civil unions and keep it real, if you ask me.
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,