View Single Post
Old 05-04-2008, 12:32 PM   #11
machievelli
Local curmudgeon

Current Game: Dungeonseige series
Hot Topic Starter Veteran Fan Fic Author Helpful! Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi
And don't be afraid to critique the moderators, admins, or machievelli. I think some people see mach's name or the moderator status title and think 'man, if I say anything negative, they'll give me a negative review or ban me.'
There's an old saying 'when you think you're perfect, try walking on water'. I have believed it all my life and apply it to my writing. Part of the reason I started a poll when I started my tenure as critic was because I wasn't sure how well I would do. Darth 333 spent a lot of our first conversations assuring I would not be a Hollywood style critic looking for every bad thing to ding, and I watched that poll like a hawk, and still do.

A couple of the forumites have commented (When I would ask plaintively why no one commented) that I scared the crap out of you kids. Yet if you look at the poll, only nine have told me 'go away'. Of those only four have been authors I have critiqued, one of whom gave me that because I accidentaly attributed a story to another author. Of those three I reviewed all of them after their scorn, and hope that I was still honest, not an overbearing old man, or a whimpering boy who didn't want to get hurt again.

If it's good, I'll say so, if not, I'll tell you why. Not because I think I am better, all I have on most of you is almost 40 years of doing the same thing. That experience like any life experience assures that I can point out the same pitfalls I have dealt with. There isn't a mistake you can make that I haven't made myself.

And to earn my pricely salary. Before you ask, I was promised one thing by Darth333 when I started. What is incidental. But I have been well paid for my work here. Every time I see an author I critiqued improve, every time one of you asks me to review it early or beta read, I am handed cash in the only way that counts for a man doing my job for that much money,

The fact that I can tell you're listening.

'To argue with those who have renounced the use and authority of reason is as futile as to administer medicine to the dead.' Now who said that?

From the one who brought you;
What we die for...
Acceptance
KOTOR excerpts
Star Wars: The Beginning
Star Wars: Republic Dawn
Return From Exile

Last edited by machievelli; 05-04-2008 at 12:42 PM.
machievelli is offline   you may: quote & reply,