View Single Post
Old 05-20-2008, 08:13 AM   #137
Scatter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Joker
Gamespot posted an interview with Martin Slater of 2K Australia (publishers of BioShock). They were thrilled that the game was not cracked for thirteen days, though they took a beating over their DRM (also SecuRom, IIRC). If that is a successful time frame to make money on a game, I can see in the incentive of the publishers.
what!?

the problem with that line of thought is that it completely ignores a well researched fact (one that almost the entire industry save for a few indie companies seem determined to ignore too): pirates don't buy games. period. average pirate joe blow illegally downloading a game doesn't equate to a lost sale, because if joe can't get the game for free, he simply won't bother getting it at all.

all "anti-piracy" measures do is cost publishers a fortune, annoy legitimate customers, and provide a minor nuisance/challenge to a cracker. want proof? check out any bit-torrent site armed with a list of every new release (be it a game or any other form of mainstream software) of the past month. every single one of them will be there. every. single. one. patches? they'll be there too. cracked and ready to install.

like the music industry before it, the software industry is trying to tackle the issue of piracy in completely the wrong way. and because of that, it's a battle they can never win.

what was it leia said in ANH? "the more you tighten your grip, the more systems will slip through your fingers." all "protective measures" like this are doing are turning more and more people toward piracy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Char Ell
Of course there are those that aren't willing to accept any restrictions at any level and I understand that. I just hope those individuals consider the fact that piracy is a huge problem for PC gaming and developers/publishers are trying to find ways to prevent illegitimate use of their games and only allow their paying customers to enjoy their work.
they really, really aren't. for the reasons i stated above, the absolutely minute number of extra sales picked up by preventing piracy is totally insignificant. whether the people who protest about the piracy measures know it or not, this is ENTIRELY about a revenue stream publishers discovered with the advent of MMORPG's - and the distribution of software has been slowly heading toward a certain business model ever since.

think about how DRM's are handled with most video (and music?) you purchase online. you pay a fee, you have access to said video file for X amount of time. the time expires, if you want further access to that video, you pay another fee.

welcome to the future of gaming.
Scatter is offline   you may: quote & reply,