Lucasforums has now been upgraded to vBulletin 3.7. There are some minor changes to the layout of the forums, along with a fair amount of new features.
If you notice anything that doesn't look or work like it should please post about it in this thread.
Here is a quick list of some (but by no means all) of the new features available in the new version of the forum. Please note that some of these features might be disabled in the future depending how how well they work out.
- Multiquote - You can toggle multiquote for posts by clicking the quotation mark icon in the lower right corner of the post. Any posts selected this way will be quoted in your post when you click the "Reply to this thread" button.
- Linked quotes - Automatically generated quotes will now include a quick link which takes you to the post that has been quoted when clicked.
- Improved text editor - The text editor (where you write posts etc) has been improved with several new features making it easier and less annoying to use.
- Thread tags - When posting a thread you can specify a number of tag words that are relevant labels for that particular thread. When clicking on a tag in the tag list of any thread the forum will list all other threads that also had that tag word speficied. You can also use tags when searching for posts.
- More BBCodes - A number of new BBcodes used for formating text in posts have been added. The full list can be viewed here.
- AJAX features - Various features now use AJAX to allow you to quickly change things without having to reload the whole page. These include:
- You can mark a forum as read by double clicking the icon to the left of the forum name.
- Name completion for PM recipients, buddy/ignore list etc. Begin typing and the forum will show a menu with matching member names.
- You can change the title of a thread by double clicking the area next to the title link (not the link itself) in the forum listing.
- You can edit your posts directly in the thread display when using the edit link.
- Viewing an individual post by a member on your ignore list no longer requires the page to reload.
- You can edit your public profile information (interests, location etc) directly on your profile page.
- PM BCC - When sending PMs to multiple members you will now have place recipients in a blind carbon copy list to hide who else has receive the PM (like it worked before). Names placed in the regular "To" field will be viewable by all the recipients.
- Signature image - Like with your avatar, you can upload an image to use in your signature, lessening the need for using external image hosting services.
- Member Profile - The member profile screen has been greatly expanded to link together social networking features, blogs and picture albums with the normal profile information. There is a "public messaging" feature that allows members to leave messages at the profiles. You may also review any infractions you have received on your own profile.
- Picture Albums - You can host a number of pictures in your profile and arrange them into thumbnailed albums where public comments can be left for pictures. Albums can be publicly viewable, or restricted to only members on your Contacts list. Standard forum rules about what is appropriate applies to picture albums as well; LucasForums staff can view albums restricted to contacts.
- Social Networking - The new forum version includes various social networking features:
- Friends/Contacts - The buddy list has been replaced with the Contracts and Friends lists. Your Friends will be viewable in your profile with quick links to their profiles. Friendships are mutual, i.e. anyone you add to your friends list must give their approval. Contacts, in addition to working like the old buddy list, can be used to limit who may leave public messages on your profile and do not have to be mutual.
- Social Groups - Social groups offers a mini-forum of sorts where members can leave comments and share images in their albums. Groups can be public where anyone can join, or invite-only. Groups can be moderated by the group leader. Please note that normal forum rules also apply to social groups, and LucasForums staff can view invite only groups.
- Calendar Events - You can now add events to your private calendar that will show up as a reminder on the forum front page at the specified dates. Staff members can post public events visible to all visitors, while regular members can post private events visible only to them.
- Blog - You can now create a blog from your user control panel screen, or read other people's blogs by choosing "Blogs" in the quick links pulldown menu at the top of the forum pages. How many blog entries you have, along with a link to your blog, will be shown beneath your portrait on each of your forum posts.
The forum upgrade also offers lots of new functionality on the moderator side:
- Inline moderation - You can select threads in a forum display and choose a moderator action to perform on them from a menu at the bottom of the page. Similarly posts in a thread can be selected and an action applied to all of them. Threads can be locked/unlocked by double clicking the status icon to the left of the thread title in the forum display.
- Infractions - Infractions formalize the handling of moderator nudges and warnings. Click on the yellow/red card icon on a post to issue an infraction for that post. Posts that have had an infraction issued have a yellow or red card indicator in the lower bar. Members will be sent a PM about the infraction they've received along with the moderator's note/motivation.
Each infraction is worth a certain number of points/strikes. Once a member has accumulated a specific amount of infraction points automatic measures might be taken, such as a ban from the forums. Members can review any infractions they have received on their profile screen.
- Deleted/Moderated message lists - You can view any messages or threads that have been soft-deleted or sent to the moderation queue from your usercp.
- Moderation tools - A number of new features for moderation is available:
- Spam prevention - Moderators can delete messages "as spam", taking appropriate action against the poster and deleting any other posts they have made.
- Copy posts - Moderators can copy selected individual posts from a thread into either a new thread, or merge them with an existing one.
- Move posts - Moderators can move selected individual posts from one thread into either a new thread, or merge them into another existing thread.
- Merge posts - Moderators can merge selected posts in a thread into a single post (to fix double-posting or the like).
- Thread redirects - When moving a thread you can now specify how long the Moved: redirect notice will remain in the old forum.
- Announcements - Announcements can now be added directly from the forum tools menu in a forum section without having to go through the moderator control panel.
- Integrated reports - You can now view all reported posts in forums you moderate directly in the forum. A message on the front page and in the top navigation bar will indicate any open reported posts.