06-01-2008, 07:28 AM
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The real world/ivory towers
Current Game: Viking Warrior Poets
If you've been having some problems installing Mass Effect
then Owen Borstad, one of BioWare's programmers, has a work-around for you.
Originally Posted by Owen Borstad
You will need:
1) access to the contents of the data directory (either off CD, download, temp files, etc)
2) WinRar or 7zip or any tool that can extract .rar files.
1) Create a folder on your system somewhere. Default for the installer is "C:\Program Files\Mass Effect\" or a games folder.
2) Open each .rar file in the utility chosen (WinRar for e.g.)
3) Extract each .rar file into this folder. If you are using an English build, you won't need to extract any .rar file that has a different language code (_es, _fr, _de, _it, etc)
4) After extracting all files, your folder should look like this:
5) Run the MassEffectLauncher.exe and quit immediately.
6) Run the "Mass Effect (tm)_code.exe" from the data folder. Enter your CD Key, click next, it will exit out.
7) Run the Launcher again, hit "Config". under the "Repair" tab, you can re-create your shortcuts if running XP. If running Vista, I'm sorry, you can't add the game to the Game Explorer in these instructions.
9) Quit back to the launcher.
10) Play! (everything should work nicely now)
StarWarsKnights.com -- News and features will be returning shortly...
I 'gin to be a-weary of the sun,
And wish the estate o' the world were now undone.
quote & reply,