View Single Post
Old 06-09-2008, 02:00 PM   #14
Pavlos
Scruffy Englishman

Current Game: Viking Warrior Poets
Source

According to a news post on a <Romantic Language Here> site, Neverwinteros, The Sword Coast seems set to make a return in Obsidian's next installment of the Neverwinter Nights 2 saga. Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir will plunge the player into an epic and truly heroic world of... economic manipulation.

The news apparently comes straight from the horse's mouth, Atari Europe having issued this release to all European Community representatives. Confirmation comes from Obsidian's Anthony Davis; who declared it as "realz".

Quote:
In the aftermath of the defeat of the King of Shadows, the Sword Coast is in the midst of an uneasy economic recovery. Trade syndicates have sprung up to exploit the post-war confusion for their own ends. The players’ party will wade into this uncertain environment; in order to increase their own fortunes, they can either ally with a syndicate to create a trade empire, or cut their own path through Faerûn by preying upon caravans and selling the goods on the black market. As they attempt to extend their influence, players will become aware of a new faction working behind the scenes: the evil, shapeshifting, serpentine Yuan-Ti."
Obsidian seems to be taking Neverwinter Nights 2 in a very different direction from both the one started on in the original game and the one found in Mask of the Betrayer. I can't say that's a bad thing, to be honest, it suggests that they're not afraid to take the series in new directions, nor are they above experimenting with fresh ideas.

For the second time with their handling of the NWN licence, Obsidian have pleasantly surprised me. Once again I have read a press-release that doesn't involve the word 'epic'. Though not much is clear at this time, the plot seems more centred on intrigue than it does fighting Ancient Evil; refreshing, I tells ya!

Something about the word "streamlined" causes horror to lock her icy arms around my chest, though.

Update: Anothny Davis has said that while he's not yet able to talk specifics on this project, "I will say this about the game, the very first time I saw the new over land map stuff, it FELT like a completely different game than NWN2 and NX1, in a good way."

StarWarsKnights.com -- News and features will be returning shortly...

I 'gin to be a-weary of the sun,
And wish the estate o' the world were now undone.

Last edited by Pavlos; 06-09-2008 at 02:29 PM.
Pavlos is offline   you may: quote & reply,