View Single Post
Old 06-10-2008, 07:53 PM   #44
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev7 View Post
Why do I believe in Christianity? I believe that Jesus is real, and that he died for my sins, and the sins of the world on the cross. I also believe that He rose from the dead.
But believing something doesn't make it true. I can believe that Monica Bellucci fantasizes about me, but that doesn't mean that it happens.

I might specify Monica Bellucci in my example because I find her particularly attractive and I want to believe that it's true. That belief might even cause me to feel like the irresistible hunk o' burnin' love that I am, but even that won't make it true.

Therefore, as I've stated repeatedly, having a belief/faith about something doesn't tell me anything about how real or true it is.

Quote:
How exactly can I have "just as much evidence for that as you do these other things"? I am agrueing against these other things.
There is zero evidence. Therefore the quantity of evidence for them is all the same (i.e. none).

Quote:
No, my selection is not arbitrary.
I'll take your word for it, but you'll still need to show me how this isn't the case.

Quote:
So, if you ask someone to do something via a telephone, you have to see this person appear to make sure that they actually did what you asked?
This example is not even close to what we're discussing. The bible says that jesus is among us. Introducing the "other end of a phone" scenario is disingenuous.

Quote:
That is what you think. I certainly think that faith is 'rigorous'. I think that what I am doing has rigor. I am trying to convince you that He is real. I think that YOU think that it is more of a joke. At least I am trying. That is all that I can do. That takes faith, and rigor. I think that many others would think the same.
Sir, "faith" is an argument for jesus just as much as it is an argument for islam, paganism, or any other diametrically opposed belief system that you wish to think up. Arguing that faith is an intellectually rigorous reason for accepting christianity is arguing that it is also an intellectually rigorous reason for believing in invisible pink unicorns and the flying spaghetti monster. Do you accept them as being real as well?

If not, then by the very same logic you must accept that faith is not a good reason for believing in jesus or god either.

Quote:
Oh, I am sorry. I didn't see it as a question originally. To answer that question, no I will not pray to an 'invisible fairiy".
Why not?

Quote:
And how exactly would Kavar's change your opinion.
It's wouldn't, however there are certain words that I'm not allowed to use there. "Irrational" is one of them. "Delusion" is another.

Quote:
I think that many people would think that your view is irrational.
And I would welcome them to discuss that with me any time they would like.

Quote:
Okay then. I know that Jesus can/has appeared to people (I know that has already been stated). I am not diputing that. I never disputed that.
Okay then, if you follow the steps in the video, why does he not appear?

Quote:
Thank you.
You're welcome

Quote:
I have already stated what I think to be is 'skewed'.
<snip>
You have also stated that you think that what I said was an "excuse".
That's because it was

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan7 View Post
That's untrue; I answered in Kavar's; http://www.lucasforums.com/showpost....&postcount=383
No my friend, you 100% did not. Putting words on a page is not the same thing as answering the question.

Example.
Question: Achilles, what is your favorite flavor of ice cream?
Response: I could really use a nap.

I posted a reply. There were words exchanged. I did not answer the question.
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,