View Single Post
Old 06-10-2008, 10:40 PM   #50
Rev7
I'm a Mage

Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ET Warrior View Post
That doesn't really address why you believe those things...which seemed to me the point of the question.
On what criteria did you make your selection then? Is there more evidence to support Christianity over Judaism or Islam? (Or any other myriad of options...)
Sorry! I am a little tired. I guess that I will start over then. I want to point out that I am a non-denominational Christian. I don't go to 'church' very much, but I read the Bible a lot, and try my best to live by the Word of God. Why not Judaism or Islam for example, I don't agree with all* that is taught in those religions. I am simply a Christian. That is all that I think that I can say on that part....

(*)= it certainly ranges!

Quote:
If I asked them to come over to my house to eat pizza and drink beer, then...yes. Otherwise I can be fairly confident that they did not do what I asked.
That is you. Others will answer differently.
Quote:
I very much doubt his actual opinion would change, he simply would not voice it in Kavar's because they are touchy about his word choice there.
Okay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
But believing something doesn't make it true. I can believe that Monica Bellucci fantasizes about me, but that doesn't mean that it happens.

<snip>

Therefore, as I've stated repeatedly, having a belief/faith about something doesn't tell me anything about how real or true it is.
I guess that you could say that about you believeing that Jesus isn't real.

Quote:
I'll take your word for it, but you'll still need to show me how this isn't the case.
I think that we might not be on the same page. What do you mean by "is your selection arbitrary"?

Quote:
This example is not even close to what we're discussing. The bible says that jesus is among us. Introducing the "other end of a phone" scenario is disingenuous.
Okay...
Quote:
Sir, "faith" is an argument for jesus just as much as it is an argument for islam, paganism, or any other diametrically opposed belief system that you wish to think up. Arguing that faith is an intellectually rigorous reason for accepting christianity is arguing that it is also an intellectually rigorous reason for believing in invisible pink unicorns and the flying spaghetti monster. Do you accept them as being real as well?
They could be. I (probably you too) don't think that they are real, though.

Quote:
If not, then by the very same logic you must accept that faith is not a good reason for believing in jesus or god either.
Well Achilles, Christianity, as well as all of those other religions, is a fairly faith based religion. I don't quite know if you understand this.
Quote:
Why not?
Well, I know for myself that they would be a false idol.

Quote:
It's wouldn't, however there are certain words that I'm not allowed to use there. "Irrational" is one of them. "Delusion" is another.
Okay. Thank you for informing me.
Quote:
And I would welcome them to discuss that with me any time they would like.
Some of us are already doing that.
Quote:
Okay then, if you follow the steps in the video, why does he not appear?
I am sure that you would view it as another "excuse" that this man has made.

Quote:
That's because it was
Again, I have stated my thoughts on that.

I think that I will have to leave this discussion pretty soon. It seems to most that my views are irrational and irrelevent, so I don't really see the need to continue discussing this.

Thank you for the discussion though. I happen to enjoy them.

Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,