View Single Post
Old 06-11-2008, 02:08 AM   #51
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev7 View Post
Sorry! I am a little tired. I guess that I will start over then. I want to point out that I am a non-denominational Christian. I don't go to 'church' very much, but I read the Bible a lot, and try my best to live by the Word of God. Why not Judaism or Islam for example, I don't agree with all* that is taught in those religions. I am simply a Christian. That is all that I think that I can say on that part....

(*)= it certainly ranges!
So are you saying that you agree with all of christianity?

Also, how extensively have you studied these other religions? Read the qu'ran or the old testament? Attended their mosques and synagogues?

If not, then I think you understand what it means to select something arbitarily.

Quote:
That is you. Others will answer differently.
Your arguments are becoming increasingly slippery. At some point this may threaten your credibility and some people may decide that you have nothing honest to contribute to the dialog.

Quote:
I guess that you could say that about you believeing that Jesus isn't real.
You've completely ignored the point in order to introduce an unrelated argument.
Acknowledging that there is no evidence for something does not require one to hold a belief. There is no evidence for the existence of a man named jesus. That isn't something that I choose to believe. That is reality.

Quote:
I think that we might not be on the same page. What do you mean by "is your selection arbitrary"?
From Merriam-Webster:
Quote:
3 a: based on or determined by individual preference or convenience rather than by necessity or the intrinsic nature of something
You've selected to be a christian because it is convenient or because you prefer it, not because it is true or because you've determined that it is better than the existing alternatives by some rigorous process of elimination.

Quote:
They could be. I (probably you too) don't think that they are real, though.
Why not? You have just as much evidence for your religion as these yet you accept one but dismiss the others. You recognize that every other belief system is silly on some level...except the one that you call your own.

Quote:
Well Achilles, Christianity, as well as all of those other religions, is a fairly faith based religion. I don't quite know if you understand this.
I understand it perfectly. The point that I keep raising and that you are doing an excellent job of consistently ignoring is that doesn't make it true.

Faith is required for all of them. That means the one you believe in is not special.

Quote:
Well, I know for myself that they would be a false idol.
This is why theists get such a bad rap.

You just acknowledged that the other religious figures could be real. You acknowledge that all religions require faith. But yet when I ask you a simple question, you profess to know something that you just got finished admitting that you couldn't know.

Quote:
Some of us are already doing that.
I promise you that no one has even come close to starting.

Quote:
I am sure that you would view it as another "excuse" that this man has made.
Yes, if you offer up another excuse, then I will acknowledge it as such. You either have an answer or you do not. I suspect that we both know that you do not. My fear is that you will spend more time finding a way to ignore that than considering what that means.

Quote:
Again, I have stated my thoughts on that.
Indeed but opinions are cheap to produce. Arguments have worth.

Quote:
I think that I will have to leave this discussion pretty soon. It seems to most that my views are irrational and irrelevent, so I don't really see the need to continue discussing this.
I'm saddened to hear you say that. I'll continue to hold out hope for you anyway

Quote:
Thank you for the discussion though. I happen to enjoy them.
Take care until next time.
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,