View Single Post
Old 06-12-2008, 02:42 PM   #55
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikinor View Post
Bleh, religious debates. What I really don't get is, why are a lot of Atheists dead set on proving religions(mostly from what I've seen Christianity) wrong?
Because no one holds their beliefs in a vacuum. What other think and believe can and does have an impact on all of us.

Quote:
Beleive what you want to beleive, but do NOT force it on anyone that does not want it.
When milions of people go into a voting booth and vote against individual rights such as abortion or life-saving scientific research such as embryonic stem cell research because of their religious beliefs isn't that "forcing it on others"?

Quote:
I was raised Roman Catholic. In the Catholic faith you are somewhat supposed to convert others in order to "save them." Now I can understand this a bit. I could understand converting a person who has no faith and is not sure of what they beleive in. However, when you try to convert people who already beleive something different, that's where you should stop.
Please help me understand how this is not a double-standard. It's okay to try to convert those without a religious belief, however those without a religious belief are somehow wrong for wanting point out that such beliefs are irrational?

Quote:
There is no reason in trying to prove someone's religion wrong or right.
I wholeheartedly disagree for the reasons that I provided above and more.

Quote:
I've heard better arguements.
As have I, but you always have to consider your audience when making your case.
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,