View Single Post
Old 06-12-2008, 05:43 PM   #67
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikinor View Post
You still don't seem to be understanding what I said about converting though.
I think I do understand, but that does not mean that I agree.

Quote:
I do not think that anyone should try and convert Atheists because I view Atheism as a religion.
Okay, that's fine, however that does not mean that it is. It is legally categorized as such by the Federal goverment for the purposes of religious discrimination.

However atheism has no traditions, no centeral tenants, no dogma, no places of worship, no holidays/days of observance, et cetera.

Everything that we could use to identify something as a religion is completely missing from atheism.

Quote:
The person has chosen to beleive in no God or gods and they don't need anyone coming up to them and saying "Do you accept Jesus Christ as your savior?"
I completely agree, but I'm not sure what this has to do with your initial critique of my being critical of religion.

Quote:
I was saying that I wouldn't see it as wrong to try and convert someone who has no beleif at all.
Because your categorizing a lack of belief in a god or gods as a belief, I'm having difficult comprehending what "someone who has no belief at all" would look like. Babies is about the best thing I can come up with.

Quote:
As in someone who has never really given religion much of a thought.
Would they be wearing a funny hat or maybe a special shirt or something to help us identify who they are? How would you know who it's safe to talk to and who it isn't?

Quote:
I would not know about converting non-christians because I do not do it.
Didn't you say earlier that you tried to convert your father?

Quote:
I also don't think I would approve of Christians coming up to me and trying to convert me. I respect what they beleive and all I ask is that they respect what I beleive. If I did try to convert and or educate people on a religion then I think I would try to cover Mormonism, Scientology, fairies etc.
Kudos for your objectivity, sir. Unfortuantely I think you would agree that a vast majority of your fellow human beings would not be so enlightened.

Quote:
The parents raising their children is tricky. I would say that I am partially thankful for being raised Catholic because it lead me to research other beleifs, to keep an open mind and to learn more.
Do you have a more definitive answer?
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,