View Single Post
Old 06-16-2008, 05:51 PM   #115
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikinor
Those views are 100% anything. There are radicals and extremists in every religion and every beleif.
I think you may be overshooting the point. Liberal views of christianity are 100% in alignment with the parts of the bible that those christians consider relevant. Same thing goes for moderate christians, conservative christians, and fundamentalist christians. The problem is that there isn't a single objective interpretation of the bible. There cannot be as it was written by many authors with many agenda during different times and in different cultures.

Quote:
Again, with the people who try and say that a god does not exist and work towards proving it.
How does one prove that something doesn't exist? For instance, how would you prove that invisible pink unicorns aren't real? How does this differ from being skeptical of any claims regarding invisible pink unicorn barring some sort of objective evidence?

Quote:
This being, fictional or not gives people faith and hope.
Believing that I might win this week's lottery might also give me hope. Doesn't mean that it's true. It also doesn't mean that I wouldn't be delusional if I walked around insisting that it will happen either.

Quote:
Why would someone want to take that away from someone else?
Because holding these beliefs has an impact on everyone. I thought you congratulated me on making that point earlier

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexrdias
I agree with you Vikinor, and with you Achilles (except the part when you say they are 100% christians).
Okay. On what basis do you disagree?

Quote:
I also understand your concern and your reasons to change those people thoughts. But I think unbelieving people that God exist is not the best way.
I would say that this is like stating that helping people learn to live without alcohol isn't the best way to help them not be alcoholics.

Quote:
Maybe helping them to change their way of interpreting the Bible. What do you think?
Who gets to decide which interpretation is right? If god's ways are mysterious because his nature is so far beyond our comprehension then don't you think it makes sense that we blindingly follow every "suggestion" that he makes, regardless of whether it makes sense to us or not? If god tells you to murder disobedient children and people that pick up sticks on the sabbath, don't you think it would be a good idea to do what he asks? Who are you to question whether that is moral behavior or not?
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,