View Single Post
Old 06-19-2008, 01:19 PM   #5
Tanqexe

Um yeah, guess what the saber fighting from the movies were derived from. Sword stances were developed because they have a strategic value, and it doesn't matter if it's a baseball bat, a broomstick, a one/two-edged sword, or an infinite-edged lightsaber, the stances are still practical. Most of the poses you see in the movies are classic kenjutsu or fencing stances, so I really don't see the validity of objections to using them, considering that the highest level of canon has shown that they're very much a part of lightsaber fighting. What works, works, and it's the reason why both the new and old stunt coordinators of the movies used some of them as a basis for lightsaber fighting. There is no unfounded bias here, and these stances weren't picked by some random noob who doesn't know wtf they're talking about.

I also did mention that the stances were selected to flow as well as possible with the different directional swings of each style, so I don't really see the validity of the criticism of flow.

Regarding Makashi, as I said the options here are limited until a completely new set of frames is added into the .gla. Ideally I would place the right leg as the lead, with the saber out 60 degrees from center line, ~45 degrees down towards the ground from horizontal. That's a very, very relaxed and arrogant low guard. No kenjutsu or fencing practitioner would be caught dead using that stance, don't trust video games as your source of sword knowledge. Most people don't have the reflexes to guard from that position, though hypothetically a Jedi/Sith can. Anyway at that point it's not so much the speed of the initial guard or attack but the anticipation of the strike - the supreme confidence in one's skill and in knowing that you can parry from an inferior position or strike at a zone that the enemy, no matter how fast they can respond to an attack, would be hard pressed to defend anyway.

Thus the arrogance of the Makashi stance, because such a stance relies on one's level of skill and tactics to attack an enemy's weak spots without having to rely on the inherent offensive/defensive capability of the stance. The Makashi stance is meant to be as much a psychological tool as the jodan no kamae/high guard that Viper was suggesting for Juyo in the other thread. It literally screams "I don't need to be really ready for you to kill you," which was what Dooku's attitude exuded during the initial parts of the four fights we saw him participate in.

Tanqexe is offline   you may: quote & reply,