View Single Post
Old 06-15-2001, 04:12 PM   #6
Syndrix

Well I just realised I hadent looked at this thread since I last posted to it, Which is kind of odd seeing as it is my thread and all.

Anyway, some interesting opinions to consider, not the least of which is RAVE saying the JK engine was good in its time. I think not, when you really look at it even for its time the modelling is chunky with body parts not joining properly and wall and cliff bugs where you can see faults in them.

Now having said that I still liked it, it was still quite functional and served its purpose. Of course I am glad to see LEC went with Raven and the Q3A engine, good choice.

Now I didnt know, at the time of the creation of this topic that they had said JKII would not have a Light/Dark decision tree. That is a sham because not only did I like the choice in single player, which as I suggested above could play a bigger role in the game, but now it mean that in multiplayer you will be able to mix any powers you want.

A pity because I'm sure newbies will combine things like an offensive and a defensive and just run around in FF matches not even using sabers. They already do with destruction, thats why some have headings saying no lighers because they cant get past absorb or protection.
Cover my ass note: Of course some people have good reasons for saying no lighters.

How could they judge if you are Dark or Light in order to change the levels accordingly? It is a good point and as En Taro Taldarin suggested and I was thinking the same thing, it could be decided on how you use the powers.

They would still be able to have a scale bar showing you which side of the force you are leaning to, like in JK, but it would now be more realistic because it would slowly move according to you actions, killing innocents along the way, killing or helping NPC's. The way its more realistic is if you want to switch say back to light when you are going towards the dark side, you do good things, unlike in JK where if you remember you got to a point where you had to choose Light or Dark and once you decided that was it. Even if the scale was all the way over the dark side, if you put stars into the light side the bar moved a massive amount all the way across to the light side and even if you killed civilians and things it would not move towards the dark simply because you had stars in the light side. I never liked that.

The new video definately looked quite promising level wise. The hanger especially, if it is any indication, was very open for a nice big saber battle with plenty of room to manovour and looking at the hanger opening it had some cool looking background scenery. I'm sure that, apart from levels that need to be squishy and cramped due to the storyline, like underground or in a ventilation system etc., they will probably be pretty well sized.

I listed the water as needing improving simply because even for it time the JK engine just had water wrong, it was just WRONG. I think the Q3 engine with the modifications, will deliver some quite good water. True it will not be totally realistic, but engines today cope with the physics etc. of those sort of things much better. I just hope they have water in there, and not just to look at. If water is done well then a partly submerged level is quite fun, if its done poorly that same level becomes frustrating and annoying.

Just briefly touching on what En Taro Taldarin said "There should be several different ways the game can proceed after each level depending on how you accomplish certain objectives". As I discussed above, I would like the game to fork, but when I originally posted I was thinking more along the lines of JK but when you got to a certain point in the game it decided whether you were light or dark (based on the bar which is based on your actions) and thus you played on with the levels of either light or dark. Making choices after each level would be to hard to implement as you would come out with an ever changing game. I mean once you came to the fork and made the decision, after that if it went level by level if you went to the other side during a level it would have to ajust your path at the end of the level. This is to hard because you would have to make a Deus Ex type game and with all the other things they have to do they probably don't have time to do this. Too RPGish.

And StormHammer, there is a way to tell if you find the secrets in each level, If you go into the...umm I think its the inventory screen there is a tab called objectives and if memory serves me down the bottom of the objectives screen is a % of secrets completed for that level. So if you want to find all the secrets just check it before you press escape and finish each level.

[ June 15, 2001: Message edited by: Syndrix ]

Genius is limited, unfortunately stupidity is not thus so.
Syndrix is offline   you may: quote & reply,