View Single Post
Old 07-29-2008, 01:14 PM   #92
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
Wasn't speaking to diesel cost, but to the cost of food. Diesel cost is a major reason why food costs have skyrocketed as most farm equipment and transportation runs on diesel. Now using corn in ethanol is a factor in both the costs of vegetables and meats, because we could use that same land to grow the type of corn used for human and animal consumption, but the price of diesel is having more of an influence on our cost than ethanol is.

Forgive me for not being clear to which one I was complaining about today.

No problem. You make a decent point, though. Was sort of under the impression that the switching of some of the corn crop to ethanol took it out of production for foodstuffs and hence created a kind of "artificial shortage" that was consequently affecting the value of the crop. Used to trade corn (and other ag commodities) and hadn't followed it very closely the past few years (focused more on currencies and such), so I tended to remember the price of a bushel being in the vicinity of $2.5-3.35 and the margin being under $500. Now the price is around $5-6+/bu and the margins over $1000. Man, the things that happen when you ain't looking....

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,