View Single Post
Old 08-08-2008, 03:21 PM   #860
machievelli
Local curmudgeon

Current Game: Dungeonseige series
Hot Topic Starter Veteran Fan Fic Author Helpful! Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emalin View Post
Wha-a-a-at? Mach hasn't played on the Dark Side? You need to! It's wicked fun (well, most of the time - sometimes it made me want to cry) and yields some terrific story fodder. The "snapshot" I wrote actually happens in-game if you kill the apartment owner on Citadel Station while Atton's in your party. I just took that moment and ran with it.

Btw, thanks for the review!
My problem with the dark side is that people determine what is dark and light by their own attitudes, as I do. Others use what they have been taught so you have people who decide that professional soldiers such as mercenaries are automatically evil. Many thanks to this attitude to my namesake. What people forget is that Machiavelli was telling his 'prince' how to control the state by taking all of the reins.

It is a sad fact that people quote him as an authority when the condottierrie had the best record for fighting for not against their paymasters. The historical mercenaries of the 20th century have fought consistently for anti-communist guerillas in countries ill equipped to resist them. One organization in the 90s fought so well that 500 men were able to force a 5,000 (estimated) man guerilla force in Sierra Leone had to request UN assistance. The UN stepped in, ordered the Mercenaries out, and put UN peacekeeping troops in, and the guerillas promptly restarted their offensive and kept 15,000 UN troops occupied until the turn of the millennium.

My version of why Revan went to the dark side only because her desire to protect the Republic required the assistance of the Sith. This fell apart when Malak attacked her, and the Sith slid back to the true darkside.

This I call the 'when needs must' form of sliding, and doesn't make you go from a loyal knight to a murderer of children (Anakin's fall).

What I'd like to do is try to run a game where I come out directly in the middle going neither dark nor light. Any one done that?

Oh, whatever prize time. Does anyone know when the last verified Mercenary revolt (Trying to overthrow the government that hired them) occured?

'To argue with those who have renounced the use and authority of reason is as futile as to administer medicine to the dead.' Now who said that?

From the one who brought you;
What we die for...
Acceptance
KOTOR excerpts
Star Wars: The Beginning
Star Wars: Republic Dawn
Return From Exile

Last edited by machievelli; 08-08-2008 at 04:18 PM.
machievelli is offline   you may: quote & reply,