View Single Post
Old 09-04-2008, 02:50 AM   #148
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™

Current Game: DDO, Stormreach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astor_Kaine View Post
It doesn't have to be.
Yes, yes it does, in an MMO especially since retaining subscribers is paramount.

Quote:
I read the other week about a group of FFO players who spent 18 hours trying to defeat a monster that couldn't be killed.

But that's an extreme example.
Sounds like bored players to me! There are quests like this in DDO, and we know of them well. On a normal difficulty spider named Whisperdoom (she can't be killed) in the fourth quest of the Tangleroot quest chain (level4 quest), six 16th level characters beating oh her and she still lives. We'll get you someday Whisperdoom!

We do it for fun every time the level cap goes up.

Quote:
I'm all for fairness and playability, but not at the expense of the story and lore.
It would seem (from my experiences on the DDO forums at least) that a large amount of that particular games players would disagree with you on this.

Since we are talking about a 'game' here, and you mention this as well... playability is also important like balance, the average player will grow frustrated and quit if too much of the story and lore gets in the way of their ability to play the game. So it is something that needs to be balanced and fair to all.

"Beware the form-fitting black armor-clad Drow hottie with twin Mineral II Greensteel Khopeshes!"
"Liella d'Orien says, '"You're the fool, Devil. -- Witness the power of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Titan!"'"
----------------------------------------------------------------------
RedHawke is offline   you may: quote & reply,