Thread: PC or not
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2008, 01:24 PM   #50
ParaCore
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aku View Post
Indeed. I got mine with a bundle.

You said you run on 1680x1050, right? That would make it the same as mine. Worry not, it runs like a charm and looks great, even more so if you have HDMI (I have an old 360 so mine lacks HDMI ports completely)

Aye, I think all of the $300 Xbox 360s have HDMI now, so that probably wont be too much of a problem. My monitor is a 16:10 1680x1050 monitor. So that will work fine with an Xbox360? Thought the Xbox360 ran at the same res that made Merc 2 look odd to people on monitors like this?

Quote:
Yeah, that's the biggest downside.
On the other hand, the 360 has a superior online service compared to that of PS3 or Wii and if you're starting out with TFU, then you won't have a need of online play. You still get access to the online service without paying and you get one month of free online at first.
The chances of them making Xbox Live Gold free are huge though. It is probable that it is going to happen soon enough.
Yea, I plan on getting probably TFU, GTA IV and Merc 2, probably crackdown too sometime. Ill probably want GTA IV and Merc 2 for PC, if they run ok, just for the chance that I can mod them - if I can't though I probably wont get them for PC.

Quote:
A console doesn't require periodic upgrades though (that whole techno-babble regarding optimization means there'll be more and more advanced games coming out regardless) so it'll basically be good for its entire lifetime (which is likely to be at least three to five more years for the current gen consoles.)
In that sense, it's way cheaper than a PC xD
And yes, I agree that consoles are getting all the cool titles right now. Fortunately, many of them are multi-platform ^^
Yea, I do actually know what your talking about with the "techno-babble" I just never looked into the fact that the Xbox 360 had that much processing power.

On the same note though, the PC can do more, just not as good, as we have noted, since there are so many hardware variations and its trying to do so many things.

Personally ill probably be upgrading this to a quad core some time.

@Crysis physics stuff:

Yea, I was actually talking to a friend of mine about this the other day, pointing out how the physics were faked in areas. I actually referred to the shacks as houses of cards too, lol. While faked, I still love blowing them up with modded weapons, and you can't beat that C++ SDK (Yay for punching AI through shacks at like 500MPH).

I still think its entirely possible to run this game on PC, it is just a matter of how good of a PC. If they could use CUDA (Or the ATI Equivalent) to run the physics (Or some of them), then im sure it would run on my PC - but then we get into the issue of how much are they willing to spend and lose to do this, both money and time wise. Not everyone has a graphics card that can take advantage of CUDA.
ParaCore is offline   you may: quote & reply,