View Single Post
Old 09-10-2008, 06:05 PM   #23
jonathan7
Exiled Jedi...

Contest winner - Modding LFN Staff Member Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
This thread offends me.

Or it amuses me. I can't tell.
Ok, why?

Quote:
Mimartin has it right: true respect has to be earned.
I both agree and disagree. Depends on the respect referred to - as you state below and I was more meaning; behaving respectfully to one another, than neccasarily respecting the person conversing/debating with.

Quote:
However that doesn't mean that people should not behave respectfully toward one another. The problem, as I see it, is that we are quick to wag our fingers at some forms of disrespect (real or imagined) but completely disregard others.For example, it's okay to lie, but it's not okay to point out when someone is lying. I'm all about the tree-hugging and the kumbaya and the hey hey hey but I think we have, first and foremost, an obligation (that's right, a duty) to intellectual rigor. Yes, the law of the land is that it must all be "friendly", but let's all make sure that we agree that no one is being "friendly" when they lie (just ask Kant).
I think calling someone a liar (even if true), I don't think is helpful and could turn up the heat within a discussion. Would it not be a better idea to write "I think you are incorrect because etc"? The former comes off as a personal attack, while the latter doesn't seem personal. It just makes things easier, and I would be personally be very grateful as it would make my life a little easier, as it may help to cool escalation in volatile threads.

Also perhaps a distinction here -I would not say someone is lying if they believe they are correct - lying would seem to me the deliberate attempt to mis-lead someone. In a Forum such as Kavars - there will be a very broad range of opinions, I don't think because of that broad range people are lying where ever they are on the spectrum, not all will be correct (in fact most incorrect) - the point of debate is to establish who is correct, but that will not always be done to people's satisfaction.

Perhaps it would also be nice if we could all move to a clean slate and start thing anew? If you follow, I'm sure problems will happen, but it maybe useful to pass over what has happened in the past?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcesious View Post
I think I use my sniper rifle far too often. Anyways, moderators (this post is not sarcastic) feel free to tell me to cool me heels when and if I use it. I admittedly have a bad habit of it, one I still have not broken; so I want you to correct me about that when I do...

I'm kind of like (this is an analogy) the pyro who likes water more than fire but can't stop lighting matches.
No worries - we all have our moments

"Love is the only reality and it is not a mere sentiment. It is the ultimate truth that lies at the heart of creation." - Rabindranath Tagore

"Many a doctrine is like a window pane. We see truth through it but it divides us from truth." - Kahlil Gibran
jonathan7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,