View Single Post
Old 09-24-2008, 01:50 PM   #74
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yar-El View Post
Oh, I get it. People who are able to pay are suffering from higher bills due to people who cannot.
No, it is not just the people who cannot afford it that are dragging the system down. It is those that can afford it, but choice not to purchase it. According to the National Coalition of Health Care (the link I provided in a previous post). 29.3% of 18-24 years old do not have health insurance, over 8 in 10 uninsured people come from working families and 40% of the uninsured population resides in households that earn $50,000 or more annually. In 2006, 1.3 million full-time workers lost their health insurance.

It used to be easy to get around the preexisting condition requirement. You just signed up for your employer’s group plan during the enrollment time each year or you changed jobs. Now however, 1/3 of all U.S. firms did not offer coverage in 2006. In 1987, 70% percent of employers offered employment-based health insurance, in 2006 that number had dropped to 59%. There are now restrictions and exclusions for preexisting condition even on group health insurance that were not in place in the 80s or early 90s.

The availability to purchase health insurance is shrinking.

Last edited by mimartin; 09-25-2008 at 10:51 AM. Reason: grammer
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,