View Single Post
Old 10-08-2008, 02:04 PM   #15
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcesious View Post
Well the 'Everybody loves fallacies comment was sarcastic and technical meaningless, only being meant to lighten the mood...
Sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcesious
Thinking gravity works is also an inductive fallacy, but so far, as long as our knowledge of gravity works with what gravity does, then its safe to assume that we will stay on the ground, until we start floating away and every atom of every compound breaks apart...
Gravity is a physical law: F = (G*(m1m2))/r^2
I can get into the general theory of relativity and its discussion of gravitation, strong and weak forces, and so on when you've gotten through the basics of Newton's gravitation law. Gravity works regardless of what we think of it, fallacy or otherwise.

Quote:
We need evidence because in order to make up for the inductive fallacy, we need falsifiable claims. The theories must suit the facts.
What a concept for science. I'm glad your 6th grade teacher was diligent in teaching you that.

Quote:
The Big Bang, for example, is a theory that is a little difficult to put into cold hard fact at the moment. We have been able to analyze movements of galactic objects and have done scans on various light wavelengths, and have managed to be able to see that it appears that the galaxy rapidly expanded from some central point. For the moment, most of our theories about the universe are based in mathematics.
That would be because physics uses math in its equations--something you'll learn when you hit physics in high school. The Big Bang is hard to put into cold hard fact because physical laws were created a fraction of a second after the Big Bang occurred. Science can't explain it prior to that fraction of a second.
Quote:
To get more answers, we've been building things like the LHC, we've even got our 1337 Hubble telescope checking out all those stars and whatnot...
Along with all the other |337 particle accelerators we have, radio telescopes, telescopes in a variety of wavelengths both visible and non-visible, let me know what others you might need help with.

Quote:
The inductive fallacy should be strictly regulated, as the scientific community has done in their studies and experiments.
I'm sure Congress will get right on that.

Quote:
I'm not so sceptical as to think that it's not safe to assume that my computer won't explode in my face. Scepticism at that level would be paranoid and not let anything get done. Although it is smart to be cautious.
What does this have to do with anything else said in this thread? That's just you sitting in front of your computer deciding the probability of it exploding is minute compared to it not exploding and electing to take the risk of sitting there.

Quote:
Basically, overall, with fallacies, I think it's important to keep a careful balance.
Who decides the balance? Which fallacies?

Quote:
As for the metaphysical theories of the big bang. Yes, they are metaphysical, but as least we use something falsifiable, such as mathematics, in theorizing about it. Quantum physics is far different than the laws of physics. There are some odd things about the universe we do not know for sure about, such as dark matter and whatnot. That's why we're building things like the LHC to attempt to figure it out.
Quantum mechanics is a fundamental branch of physics and your statement that it's different from the laws of physics is just plain wrong.

You've missed part of the point I made about the metaphyics part--physics (and the underlying mathematical forumulas) don't work and don't even come into play until that fraction of a second after the singularity explodes into the universe. Since there is no physics prior to that, any explanation becomes metaphysical, i.e. outside the realm of physics/science. In respect to how this fits into the rest of this thread, it shows that scientism cannot explain everything--there are some metaphysical issues we're forced to deal with.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Last edited by Jae Onasi; 10-08-2008 at 03:03 PM.
Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,