View Single Post
Old 10-12-2008, 02:27 AM   #98
Tommycat
>^..^<

Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinthian View Post
The only reason people are so uncomfortable with Nuclear Power is because of incidents like Chernobyl and Three Mile Island. Chernobyl was an accident, a terribly designed reactor, and a result of a complete screwup by Soviet Engineers, and Three Mile Island was chronically insignificant.

If we began actively pursuing Nuclear Power, we could actually improve our energy situation NOW instead of decades down the road when and if Solar and Wind energy actually becomes viable. I don't think it really ever will become viable.
Ah the irony of 3 mile Island... The movies made it out to be a disaster. The reality of it was that 3 mile Island was a demonstration of how the safeguards worked... The alarm sounded, and the reactor shut down. The movies picked it up and made it a disaster.

Soviet reactors have been known to be rather iffy. The reactors on their subs are a testament to that. If there si a malfunction in the reactor control system it pulls out the carbon control rods.... US Sub reactors if they detect a failure, immediately drop in all the rods and effectively shut down the reactor. I had to learn that when I was qualifying for my "Dolphins"
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,