View Single Post
Old 10-13-2008, 01:52 PM   #9
Web Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
Could someone please list for me one area that isn't prone to natural disasters? I'll give extra credit if you can also show what size population said region(s) will support. Thanks in advance.
To properly respond, I'll have to ask you to define a "natural disaster". Ice storms happen in the North Eastern US, but are rarely as damaging as hurricanes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
Yet, unlike earthquakes, those that live along the coast usually have advance notice.
Define "advance". Hurricane warnings are, at best, 5 days in advance, often less due to hurricanes suddenly changing course upon striking warmer or less salted waters along the Gulf and it's coast.

Quote:
Yet, ask yourself why people are moving along the gulf coast. Hint: Tourism, Chemical Plants, Seafood, Shipping, PetroleumÖ That is where the jobs are.
Such jobs, with the exception of shipping and seafood, can be found from Texas to Alaska. And I think you'll agree that having a chemical plant in an area known to sustain heavy damage doesn't look like a very good idea.

Quote:
I thought primitive man was more concerned with their next meal instead of storm patterns. Native American tribes such as the Atakapas and Karankawa lived in the Galveston and Brazoria County area of Texas.
Many of these tribal people had lands that stretched well inland and they were not tied to massive homes or buildings that they needed for survival.

Quote:
Carla (1961), Alicia (1983) and Ike (2008), are the three substantial storms that have hit this area over the past 50 years. Sure, there have been a few other minor storms that have hit the area, but these are the only one that caused substantial property damage and loss of life.
Except for Andrew($40.7 & 65), Katrina(81.2 & 1800+), Wilma($29.1 & 63), Ivan, Gustav, Charlie, and Agnes, all of which cost more than 15billion. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...tic_hurricanes

Quote:
If the frequency was annually, I actually believe the damage and loss of life would be less, as people would not be allowed to be so complacent with their respect for a storm. I believe this isnít a problem with people living along the coast.
What you believe is somewhat irrelevent, since the the link above lists out that costly(both in terms of lives and money) hurricanes happen on an annual to bi-annual regularity.

Quote:
This is a problem with the attitude in American where EVERYONE wants something for nothing.
I'll grant you that much.

Quote:
I have insurance and my insurance company has reinsurance so that they know before the disaster how much they are going to have to payout. Requires neither government involvement nor our tax dollars. I evacuated my parents and myself and did not ask FEMA to reimburse me for either. However, many people around her have applied with FEMA to be reimbursed for everything.
It's impossible to know how much a disaster will cost before it happens. Work is STILL going on to repair damage done by Katrina, which means costs are still going up.

Quote:
They can if they are responsible and purchase insurance from a reputable insurance company. You can find out if the company is reputable by visiting your state department of insurance websites as it should have financial and reinsurance information of all state licensed companies on their website.
That hardly stopped many insurance companies for saying that "mold damage" caused by the water voided the insurance, or some other petty excuse that allowed them to not provide proper payouts to people who needed them. Combined with sitting on their hands to hope people would go away or devaluing a house based on the damage to the point where the company wouldn't pay enough or what was covered to rebuild it.

Quote:
Iíve grown up within 45 minutes of where I live now. Iíve lived here my entire life and I usually do not evacuate unless it is a big storm. You can build homes to survive wind. The problem is not wind, the problem is storm surge and as such I do agree with you for people living on the coastal side of the Intracoastal Water Way. However, I do not agree with the blanket statement for people living further inland. Not saying Iím safe from storm surge just because I live 15 miles inland, I am saying it has not happen before even during the last Category 5 storm Carla in 1961. I have flood insurance in case it does happen and I leave during bigger storms (category 2 or above).
I agree that there is some limit to which the effect of your average hurricane is reduced to the point where you're not really getting hit with the devastating part of the hurricane.

Quote:
I agree, just I believe it has to do with personal responsibility and has nothing to do with where I live. Letís take away the coastal jobs (many of which are recession proof) and lets see what happens to not only the U.S. economy, but the world economy. People donít live on the Texas Gulf Coast for the beauty, it is the jobs. Not just industrial, but farming cotton, rice and soybean. There is also a lot of ranching in the coastal countries.
On the same coin, Florida is often one big retirement community, many people have jobs, but they don't need them and only take them to get out of the house. Elderly are often the most vulnerable to the effects of bat weather, yet many of them express the same "ZOMG EARTHQUAKE!!" fear when the topic of moving to someplace like California comes up.

"So if you go to Washington, it's buildings clean and nice. Bring a pack of matches...and we'll burn the White House twice!"

"Nobody's talking about extermination. No one ever does. They just do it." - Magneto

"Don't solicit for your sister, that's not nice, unless you get a good percentage of her price."
Web Rider is offline   you may: quote & reply,