View Single Post
Old 10-13-2008, 02:48 PM   #14
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Web Rider View Post
I emphasized regularity in my post quite a bit. I know, living in California, that there could be an Earthquake. However, the probability of that earthquake being powerful enough to do any significant damage is extremely low.
I guess I'm not seeing how this address my counter-argument or the counter-argument presented by mimartin. It appears that you're simply circling back around to your original post.

Quote:
Also, I would probably point out that Arizona or Idaho are not prone to natural disasters. Could one happen? Sure, could the moon fall on our heads? Sure. Whats the chance of it actually happening? Pretty darn low. The Chance of half of Florida getting demolished at least once in the next decade? Pretty good.
To reference mimartin (referencing me), where do you suggest the good people of Florida move to then? Who's going to pay for it? Who's going to fill all of the shipping job (just to focus on one industry that would be affected) once all those people are living somewhere else?

Quote:
Technically, personal attacks are against Kavars Rules.
There weren't any. If you need assistance understanding what is or is not a personal attack, feel free to let me know and I'll do my best to help you out.

Quote:
My presumed lack of empathy, regardless of it is true, has very little bearing on reality. And I have lived in places in California where the property vales are soo law because of...well, just because they were low. Income was pretty low and jobs were scarce so we didn't need natural disasters to make things "cheap".
Assuming for a moment that your analysis of the driving forces of property values in California are correct, what does this have to do with the rest of the U.S.?

Quote:
If that's the only place for jobs, why don't we, as a society, give them incentives for find work elsewhere, or to get new jobs?
We'll move all the gulf coast shipping jobs to...where?

Quote:
If that's the only place jobs are located in their line of work, then shouldn't we as a society have the burden of pressing those companies to move their operations elsewhere, or, since those companies know their workers will have to deal with these things, shouldn't we pressure companies to take better care of their workers?
Same as above.

Also, why should employers (who are subject to the same risks) have to shoulder their employees? Wasn't this whole thing spurned on in a spirit of Libertarianism? I think we're starting to drift off-message.

Quote:
Much of that was addressed in my post though apparently you decided to think I was a jerk instead of actually reading any of it.
I assure you that I read the whole thing (more than once) before responding.
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,