View Single Post
Old 10-13-2008, 03:53 PM   #15
Web Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
I’d define advance as knowing that a Hurricane can happen anytime during Hurricane season. Moreover, 24 to 48 hours is more than enough time to get people out of the areas prone to storm surge.
And knowing about it and doing something about it are two totally different things. If you know a Hurricane could strike at any time during the season, then you're either going to prepare for it, or not live there. It's all the people who seem ambivalent about it happening that cause the problem.

Quote:
No, I don’t because I understand why they are here. Climate and the abundance of water is the reason those plants were built here. Like I said you can build for the wind, the worry is storm surge.
Which could be properly designed for, but really isn't. Big square structures do not take to wind or water force kindly.

Quote:
I may not have been clear. I agree with you people should not live within the typical storm surge areas, but you seemed to be saying we should not be allowed to live along the coast which I disagree with. Again, you can build for wind, but not the storm surge. Also a storm does not end once it is a shore, so how far do you want to move people inland? Oklahoma, Kansas or Illinois?
When a hurricane reaches those points, the parts of it that are most devastating, such as the wind and storm surge, are well exhausted. The wind and rain lasts longer, but without the water source to fuel it, the storm has nowhere near the preliminary effect.

Quote:
Yes, you are correct there is no way to predict how much the total storm is going to cost. How much it is going to cost the individual or how much it is going to cost an individual insurance company is very easy to predict. It is because of set deductibles on personal insurance and reinsurances by insurance companies.
Curious...

Quote:
Since mold was excluded from the original policy, I hardly see how this is relevant. The courts originally ruled it was and the insurance companies paid claims for mold until the Texas Supreme Court overturned the lower courts ruling.
Because the water is what caused the mold. Declining payments on these kinds of basis is just a low blow and they know it. Mold didn't magically appear when the storm hit. The water from the storm caused it.

Quote:
The devastating part of the hurricane is the storm surge. If people built and kept their homes at the state and Federal Flood Management codes even this damage could be minimized. People build house 18 to 20 feet of the ground to code, but then build a room without breakaway walls below it (not to code). Then they wonder why their home disappeared.
I agree that making sure homes are built to or beyond code is a good idea. I worked in construction, and we always "overbuilt" because it always made things better.

Quote:
Lets also remember most of these beach homes are weekend homes or rentals. So you want to keep the elderly off the coast? I’m all for that because it would mean my parents would have to move further away than 15 minutes away.
Sure, that could be a minimal thing to do, keep those most prone to injury or death, and not NEEDing to be there for work, away from the most heavily damaged areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
I guess I'm not seeing how this address my counter-argument or the counter-argument presented by mimartin. It appears that you're simply circling back around to your original post.
Because it took into account things you said it did not. I'm not going to rewrite what I wrote a few posts before.

Quote:
To reference mimartin (referencing me), where do you suggest the good people of Florida move to then? Who's going to pay for it? Who's going to fill all of the shipping job (just to focus on one industry that would be affected) once all those people are living somewhere else?
That depends, if we're talking libertarianism, they can live wherever they want, just as long as they don't expect anyone to some save their butt when they don't get out fast enough. Empathy has no bearing here, if we're truly libertarians, then they knew what they were getting into and it's not our job to help them get out of their own mess.

Quote:
There weren't any. If you need assistance understanding what is or is not a personal attack, feel free to let me know and I'll do my best to help you out.
Aside from saying that I was wrong because I wasn't empathetic enough.

Quote:
Assuming for a moment that your analysis of the driving forces of property values in California are correct, what does this have to do with the rest of the U.S.?
I don't know, considering I have no idea what podunk trailer-park housing costs have to do with the rest of the US. I guess we both made examples that were irrelevant.

Quote:
We'll move all the gulf coast shipping jobs to...where?

Same as above.

Also, why should employers (who are subject to the same risks) have to shoulder their employees? Wasn't this whole thing spurned on in a spirit of Libertarianism? I think we're starting to drift off-message.
Of course, but you accused me of lack of empathy, which is, in case you didn't know, a lack of caring for my fellow man. Something of which you'll find little in libertarianism. A system based on the idea that you're free to do as you will, as long as it doesn't cause harm to others, and you are responsible for your own actions.

"So if you go to Washington, it's buildings clean and nice. Bring a pack of matches...and we'll burn the White House twice!"

"Nobody's talking about extermination. No one ever does. They just do it." - Magneto

"Don't solicit for your sister, that's not nice, unless you get a good percentage of her price."
Web Rider is offline   you may: quote & reply,