View Single Post
Old 10-13-2008, 03:34 PM   #17
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Web Rider View Post
Because it took into account things you said it did not. I'm not going to rewrite what I wrote a few posts before.
I'm not asking you to rewrite your post, I'm asking you to address the counter-arguments present which raise points that you did not address in your earlier posts. Hence why I pointed out that circling back doesn't answer the question (twice now).

Quote:
That depends, if we're talking libertarianism, they can live wherever they want, just as long as they don't expect anyone to some save their butt when they don't get out fast enough.
This doesn't answer the question. Where are they supposed to live? Please be specific.

And fast enough compared to what? As you yourself pointed out, hurricane paths are not 100% predictable. Earthquakes aren't predictable at all and tornados have little to no warning. The argument seems to be, "if a natural disaster hits you in the middle of the night and you can't avoid it, then just please die quietly as you're getting what you deserve for living there". Never mind that it may be the only place they can afford to live or where the jobs they can find are, etc.

Quote:
Empathy has no bearing here, if we're truly libertarians, then they knew what they were getting into and it's not our job to help them get out of their own mess.
Case in point

Quote:
Aside from saying that I was wrong because I wasn't empathetic enough.
Please point where I made any comment at all regarding your empathy. Since you won't be able to, perhaps we can drop the false accusation of personal attacks? Thanks in advance.

Quote:
I don't know, considering I have no idea what podunk trailer-park housing costs have to do with the rest of the US. I guess we both made examples that were irrelevant.
I wasn't trying to tie it to the rest of the U.S.. You were discussing a specific region, which I kept on topic, and then decided to introduce immigration issues in Southern California (I can only assume that's where you were going).

Quote:
Of course, but you accused me of lack of empathy, which is, in case you didn't know, a lack of caring for my fellow man.
"they can live wherever they want, just as long as they don't expect anyone to some save their butt when they don't get out fast enough"

"they knew what they were getting into and it's not our job to help them get out of their own mess."

"considering I have no idea what podunk trailer-park housing costs have to do with the rest of the US." (emphasis added)

Quote:
Something of which you'll find little in libertarianism. A system based on the idea that you're free to do as you will, as long as it doesn't cause harm to others, and you are responsible for your own actions.
And I repeat my earlier sincere hope that you never find yourself in a situation in which you need the assistance of others. Lest you be forced to have to change your perspective or something.
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,