View Single Post
Old 10-13-2008, 04:39 PM   #19
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Web Rider View Post
Somewhere that doesn't get destroyed on a bi-annual basis. Or: Canada.
I asked for specifics. Are you unable or just unwilling to provide them? At this point, it seems as though you just want people to move to satisfy your ideology. You offer no specifics on where they should move to, who will pay for it, how the industries that would be subsequently abandoned would continue, what impact that would have on the rest of the country/world, etc.

Quote:
As in, they got out fast enough, that they were clear of the storm when it hit.
First, this isn't specific. Second, it completely fails to address the other examples of natural disasters that multiple people have pointed out. Do you intend on defending your argument or not?

Quote:
Earthquakes can't be predicted days in advance except in cases when there have been a significant number of tremors before it.
Really? Magnitude? Epicenter?

Quote:
Also, due to geological studies, we can predict how often a fault should move and trigger an earthquake. It's not an exact science, but it's certainly not "unpredictable".
Source please? The last I heard, they don't have anything reliable.

Quote:
And the difference between somebody receiving warnings throughout the week that a hurricane is coming and somebody at home all comfy with a storm popping out of nowhere are totally different.
This is yet another red herring. Natural disaster is natural disaster. Warning or no warning, the thrust of your argument is "you chose to live there, now deal with the consequenses". So whether you had 5 days warning and opted to leave before you lost everything or woke up in the middle of the night to lose everything doesn't matter within the larger context of your point.

Quote:
I live in California and we hear about hurricanes and what path they'll take and how long they'll take to get there. Surely people who live in these paths get this news as well.
So you're retracting your earlier admission that hurricane paths are not 100% predictable? Or are you trying to have it both ways?

Quote:
Oh, so sure you are?

It's in the first reply you made to this topic.
Yes, I'm quite sure, but that refers to your post. No character attack was made. You appear to be struggling with the distinction, but that isn't my fault or my problem.

Quote:
What? Where on earth are you getting that. I introduced and had no intention to introduce any such thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Web Rider
And I have lived in places in California where the property vales are soo low (fixed) because of...well, just because they were low.
You left it open to interpretation. That was the impression that I got. Feel free to correct my thinking.

Quote:
You claimed disasters decreased the prices of homes...
I believe I said "property". "Homes" are what people usually build on "property" and are generally considered to have a separate cost/value.

Quote:
...and nowhere else would you see a similar kind of people who can't afford to live anywhere else.
I said that? Where?

Quote:
I countered by saying yes indeed there are many places like this even in California, where natural disasters are infrequent at best.
You're telling me that I can purchase property in California for roughly the same amount as I can in say Kentucky or Tennessee? Forget all the other implication of the arguement that I was making (such as proximity of family, culture, jobs, etc).

Quote:
Considering I'm operating under a libertarian perspective here, I would probably say it's my fault anyway.
Do you have a family Web Rider? Wife and kids depending on you? Are you/will you be so cavalier with their lives and well-being as well? It's a rhetorical question for you to chew on. No need to share your answer here.
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,