View Single Post
Old 10-14-2008, 06:20 PM   #16
Litofsky
Galaxial

So, the question of this thread is an eternal God. If we're going to have this discussion, I'll start, as I almost always do, by defining the key concept/term:

What is God? In the terms of the Abrahamic religions, God is the supreme being, and is both omniscient and omnipotent. Someone, correct me if I'm wrong.

However, when we look at the concept of God scientifically, we arrive at the conclusion that, using reason and logic, God cannot be prove. Therefore, it would be irrelevant to even ponder this question.

From the beginning of time, religion (or lack thereof) has been one of the major points of any civilization. However, only in the recent millenniums has the idea of a single god become prevalent among people.

At any rate, we arrive at today, where monotheism (specifically the belief in the Abrahamic God) is dominant, holding sway over half of the world. But I digress.

Getting back to the question, I like to look at 'God' as an idea, not as a physical being. People believe in something that cannot be proven logically, but emotionally/by faith (to the believing individual). By doing so, they take an idea (AKA God) and transform it into something that can be acquired/met (albeit after death).

Therefore, so long as humans are willing to believe in something they cannot prove (something that may go on for a very long time), God exists. Thus, from my point of view, the correct question should be "How long will humans believe in God?" for if the object of belief has no followers, does it truly exist?

Last edited by Litofsky; 10-14-2008 at 07:16 PM.
Litofsky is offline   you may: quote & reply,