View Single Post
Old 10-17-2008, 01:17 PM   #64
hhunter6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
No, because I would doubt the veracity of that reason as well. Bush was in the 2nd year of his term when he invaded Iraq. If he was genuinely concerned about the welfare of the Iraqi people and wanted to use that as a justification, he should have invaded much, much sooner.

The catalyst for the invasion was the attacks of 9/11. I don't know why a terrorist attack would in turn become the catalyst for a huge humanitarian effort, especially considering that terrorist mastermind allegedly responsible for the attacks is being relatively ignored in another conflict in another country. Should our attention be there?
Absolutly it should be there. Trends show that as Iraq calms, Afghanistan gets worse. as I said there are many things I don't agree with, and your point about going to Iraq after 2 years in term is taken. IMO son wanted to finish what dad started. But what do I know.

Quote:
I have no doubt that Saddam was a real, honest-to-goodness ass-hat. An ass-hat that we put into power, gave weapons to, supported for years, etc. Again, if we had some moral obligation to be there, it went ignored for almost a decade. 2 years of which by George Dubya.
Politics will do that.

Quote:
And if we're going to side-step the U.N. to act unilaterally in the name of human rights abuses, etc, then why aren't we in Durfur?
There are many places we should be, however the first one should be our own country. Maybe we should help ourselfs before we help others. but that could be rather selfish in the eyes of others if you feel that way of course.

Quote:
Also, please keep in mind that you're asking me to completely ignore all of the Project for a New American Century rhetoric.
In my own ignorance I have to admit defeat on this cause I don't know what that is. BUT if I did, I would not ask you ignore any thought or idea. I was merely going off the first post about driving in the streets of Iraq and saying how someone should put theirselves in the Military's shoes while their out there.

Quote:
I also see video of contractors strafing cars with machine gun fire while listening to Elvis (or was it Johnny Cash?). But that's unrelated as they aren't actual military personnel.
Blackwater or a company of the same equivalent no doubt. thats upsetting to see because they go off their own "rules" and pretty much do what they want. all that does is defeat what others have worked hard to try fix out there.
hhunter6 is offline   you may: quote & reply,