Thread: Crafting
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2008, 01:47 PM   #1
Scars Unseen
Rookie

Crafting

OK, so I figure this is a rather big issue for some people, I thought I'd get the ball rolling. What are your thoughts on crafting? What do you think the main purpose of it should be in TOR? How do you think it could best be implemented in order to maximize usefulness and enjoyability to crafters and their clients?

Personally, I think that there should be two main purposes of a crafting system. The first is to provide a system by which to naturally balance the game's economy. This minimizes the developer's need to keep inflation in check by artificial means. It seems that the best way to do this is to make most of the loot acquired by players raw crafting materials. This would likely be accomplished by making crafted items preferable to loot items, and then implementing a salvaging system. Players would have the option of keeping and using a piece of equipment looted off of the dead(assuming it wasn't broken in the fight), but the optimal choice would be to salvage the useful bits and then use the profits to buy custom crafted equipment.

The second purpose of a crafting system would be to provide players with a way to customize their character. This means either a parameter based crafting system(as opposed to a recipe based one) or modifiable equipment(thus creating a secondary market). In addition, the ability to "dye" equipment is paramount in a role playing environment(not that you have to be a RPer to appreciate this feature). And not just the whole item, but sections(especially when it comes to armor) of it.

One thing that SWG definitely got right was the inclusion of non-combat related crafting. Some people would like to alter their appearance after character creation and customized housing(if there is player housing) would be great as well.

I could probably think of some more stuff, but I just got off a 13 hour work day with 1 1/2 hours of sleep, so I'm done for now.
Scars Unseen is offline   you may: quote & reply,