Thread: RPG vs. MMORPG
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2008, 02:57 PM   #59
Lance Monance
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycat View Post
You apparently haven't listened to the press releases. That is the reason their writing staff is huge. They have said that most MMO's miss that 4th pillar of an immersive story. Everyone told them that they couldn't do that in an MMO and that was something they struggled with the most. It meant they had to work harder to achieve that.

So it's still too early to tell whether your statement is true or false. Just because nobody has done it doesn't mean that it cannot be done. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. and taking them at their word on this. How much would you pay to have KotOR 3 through 10 shipped on release?
What you're saying is essentially true and I acknowledge that. We can't tell with any degree of certainty at this point.

However..MMOs do not revolve around a story like SRPGs do. In SRPGs you need a story and immersion to motivate people, in MMOs you don't. MMOs are about interaction with other players, that's why they are MMOs. To me, the simple fact that there are other players in the game diminishes immersion. That's an entirely subjective preference ofc, but I think it is not unreasonable to assert that games that focus on story tend to be better storywise than games that focus on story and OTHER things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miltiades View Post
There's a first for everything. And because no MMO has succeeded so far in creating an solid story, doesn't mean this one won't.
I'm not interested in a "solid" story. I prefer a great story that fully immerses me into the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfTheFish View Post
What is so disappointing with an MMO? After all, a change is nice every now and then.
I expected a continuation of Knights of the old Republic. I didn't want a change. Therefore I'm disappointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfTheFish View Post
Well I guess that just one's opinion. Maybe LA's opinion is more in favor with a MMO.
Well guess what, you're correct! But I don't think they approached this decision with thinking "Hm.. what would I prefer to play?"....
Lance Monance is offline   you may: quote & reply,