View Single Post
Old 11-06-2008, 02:05 PM   #1
igyman
Tension!

Current Game: Diablo III RoS (PC)
Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Graphic card problems

A few days ago I bought a new graphic card - Asus EAH 3870 512MB DDR3 and at first everything looked great. Unfortunately I've discovered a problem and I don't know the cause - while playing a game (any game) the PC may at some point simply reboot. Now, this problem has been frequently occurring in Mass Effect, but very rarely in Red Alert 3, for example and it hasn't occurred in Assassin's Creed at all so far. It also happened once in The Witcher, but I haven't played that game too much since the graphic card upgrade and I don't know how often the problem actually happens in that game.

What I do know is that it's not related to in-game graphic details, because all these games run equally smoothly with the details maxed out and reduced to minimum, until the reboot happens, that is.

I've tried Google-ing to find the solution, but I haven't found anything so far. I was hoping someone here might be able to clue me in to what's going on (I personally am suspecting overheating so far, but I'm still not so sure) and how I might be able to fix it.

If it helps, my configuration is now as follows:
CPU: Intel Core2Duo E8400 3.0GHz, 6MB L2 cache
RAM: 3GB Kingston DDR2 667MHz (3x1GB)
HDD: Seagate 320GB, 7200rpm
Graphic card: Asus EAH3870 512MB DDR3

I'd really appreciate some help.

igyman is offline   you may: quote & reply,