View Single Post
Old 11-16-2008, 03:32 PM   #5
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Monance View Post
Well kind of difficult to elaborate on it given that I don't know what to think. But I'll try.
Nothing wrong with that at all. Kudos for recognizing that you're still figuring things out and working from there. If more people did that, I think these forums would be a very different place.

Quote:
This is one of those topics I've never really thought about before, but my initial reaction when hearing that a polygamous family raises children would be a feeling of uneasiness. Having multiple mothers would complicate things for the child, there is much more potential for conflict within such a family.
While I acknowledge that this is certainly a possibility, I would need to see something more concrete before I accepted it as true. My children spent a significant amount of time with teachers, day care providers, grandparents, etc and yet somehow managed to know who their parents were. This is pretty common for most if not all children nowadays (not as many stay-at-home moms as there were in eras past). I would need to understand how living in a polygamous family would be radically different from this before I could begin to put credence behind this argument. And once I was convinced it was different, we could begin working on convincing me that it's worse.

Quote:
Moreover, parents would have to be very careful that their child doesn't get the wrong impression about the family (like thinking that there is some kind of inequality between men and women).
I agree that this is a concern, however I don't know that it would be more or less significant here. Would it be more of a concern or less of a concern compared to a monogamous, heterosexual couple where spousal abuse was present? We don't oppose monogamous marriages based on the possibility of spousal abuse, so I would have difficulty accepting the above argument as a valid reason for prohibiting polygamous marriage (unless, of course, I'm missing something in my argument ).

Quote:
I realize this is quite a half hearted answer...but raising children is about the only thing I can think of when arguing against polygamy and this is a debate forum right?
We all have to start somewhere with the exploration of our values. Almost all of the positions I've held started out in one place and were honed, changed, or abandoned based on how well they fared after being challenged.
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,