View Single Post
Old 11-16-2008, 04:11 PM   #6
Lance Monance
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
Nothing wrong with that at all. Kudos for recognizing that you're still figuring things out and working from there. If more people did that, I think these forums would be a very different place.
I'm actually glad people have strong opinions here. Makes for an interesting and entertaining read.

Quote:
While I acknowledge that this is certainly a possibility, I would need to see something more concrete before I accepted it as true. My children spent a significant amount of time with teachers, day care providers, grandparents, etc and yet somehow managed to know who their parents were. This is pretty common for most if not all children nowadays (not as many stay-at-home moms as there were in eras past). I would need to understand how living in a polygamous family would be radically different from this before I could begin to put credence behind this argument. And once I was convinced it was different, we could begin working on convincing me that it's worse.
I think it's not unreasonable to assert that families consisting of more than 2 people are more prone to conflict. That would be a reason why "normal" families could be preferable for children. But then again, we don't assess families before giving them green light for making babies. If we look for negative things in monogamous families we should do the same with monogamous families.

I guess it all comes down to the question if we grant parents the right to have children no matter the situation they are in. If we ban polygamous families from having children because they can't provide a good environment for children, we would also have to do the same with monogamous families who can't provide a good environment. (And I think no one denies that there are lots..)

Wow, I pretty much refuted my own argument.

Quote:
I agree that this is a concern, however I don't know that it would be more or less significant here. Would it be more of a concern or less of a concern compared to a monogamous, heterosexual couple where spousal abuse was present?
No, it wouldn't. Absolutely true.

Quote:
We don't oppose monogamous marriages based on the possibility of spousal abuse, so I would have difficulty accepting the above argument as a valid reason for prohibiting polygamous marriage (unless, of course, I'm missing something in my argument ).
True, but I'm not suggesting that we should prohibit polygamous marriage. I don't think there is a moral argument against polygamous marriage. (if all involved husbands/spouses agree). I'm only trying to make my mind up about the raising children. =)

Quote:
We all have to start somewhere with the exploration of our values. Almost all of the positions I've held started out in one place and were honed, changed, or abandoned based on how well they fared after being challenged.
Yeah. Imo, debate is the best way to form an opinion. It's so much easier to find flaws in your thinking when someone points them out.

Last edited by Lance Monance; 11-16-2008 at 04:13 PM. Reason: tried to get rid of some awkward sentences. didn't succeed^^
Lance Monance is offline   you may: quote & reply,