View Single Post
Old 11-16-2008, 07:29 PM   #9
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Monance View Post
I think it's not unreasonable to assert that families consisting of more than 2 people are more prone to conflict.
Likewise, I think it's not unreasonable to assert that families consisting of more than two people (should I assume you meant "parents"?) are less prone to conflict. Since we have conflicting assertions, I think the next step would be to look at the evidence and see what it says

Quote:
That would be a reason why "normal" families could be preferable for children. But then again, we don't assess families before giving them green light for making babies. If we look for negative things in monogamous families we should do the same with [polygamous] families.
That seems pretty reasonable to me. If we apply one set of standards to one group, we should apply the same standards equitably to another.

Quote:
I guess it all comes down to the question if we grant parents the right to have children no matter the situation they are in. If we ban polygamous families from having children because they can't provide a good environment for children, we would also have to do the same with monogamous families who can't provide a good environment. (And I think no one denies that there are lots..)
Pretty much the same conclusion that I came to as well.

Quote:
True, but I'm not suggesting that we should prohibit polygamous marriage. I don't think there is a moral argument against polygamous marriage. (if all involved husbands/spouses agree). I'm only trying to make my mind up about the raising children. =)
I think the same template that we used above could apply here as well. If X is a concern in Y situation, then we must apply the same standards to situation Z as well.

Much like we learn "check our math" by reversing an equation when we are young, we can do something very similar with our arguments to check them for consistency in our thinking.

Quote:
Yeah. Imo, debate is the best way to form an opinion. It's so much easier to find flaws in your thinking when someone points them out.
It certainly can help. Of course, you don't always have to "step in the ring" yourself. I find reading, attending lectures, and watching others debate helpful as well.
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,