View Single Post
Old 11-16-2008, 08:05 PM   #10
Lance Monance
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
Likewise, I think it's not unreasonable to assert that families consisting of more than two people (should I assume you meant "parents"?) are less prone to conflict. Since we have conflicting assertions, I think the next step would be to look at the evidence and see what it says
Hm. Doesn't more "potential for conflict" follow from "more people involved" (or parents, in that case)? Suppose conflict results from differing opinions and unwillingness to settle those differences in a calm manner. More people (and thus more differing opinions) would then mean that there's more potential for conflict.
As for evidence, I'm don't think there is any study on polygamous families with regard to conflict.

Quote:
I think the same template that we used above could apply here as well. If X is a concern in Y situation, then we must apply the same standards to situation Z as well.
Unless Z is something completely different. Which here, it is not, true.

Quote:
Much like we learn "check our math" by reversing an equation when we are young, we can do something very similar with our arguments to check them for consistency in our thinking.
Trying to be consistent is exactly what has lead me to my conclusion. Though I've often wondered, given how important good parenting is, if it wouldn't be better to evaluate parents before they're allowed to have children... I know that's a ridiculous violation of human rights, but the notion that we have to pass an exam to drive a car but are free to raise children if we feel like it strikes me as not quite right...

Quote:
It certainly can help. Of course, you don't always have to "step in the ring" yourself. I find reading, attending lectures, and watching others debate helpful as well.
Despite the date displayed on my account, I've been reading debates here for years and learned a lot. Didn't want to participate due to the language barrier.
Lance Monance is offline   you may: quote & reply,