View Single Post
Old 11-16-2008, 10:29 PM   #11
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Monance View Post
Hm. Doesn't more "potential for conflict" follow from "more people involved" (or parents, in that case)?
I guess I would have to understand why we should suppose this. It appears that you follow up with some possible premises (below) so I will address them there.

Quote:
Suppose conflict results from differing opinions and unwillingness to settle those differences in a calm manner.
Ok, but why should we assume that opinions will be more differing? Why should we assume that polygamous families would be less willing to settle those differences?

If the polygamous family is democratic, then having more voices would seem to imply more solutions being offered to potential problems (nevermind more "hands on deck" to head off some situations before they even become problems). On the other hand, if the polygamous family is more authoritarian (where "the man" makes the decisions), then "the man" makes the decisions and every one (allegedly) falls in behind regardless of how they feel about it. In the first scenario, the situation is the same or better as a monogamous family. In the second scenario, the situation would appear to be the same as an equally authoritarian monogamous family.

Quote:
More people (and thus more differing opinions) would then mean that there's more potential for conflict.
For the sake of argument, suppose I concede this point. What's the "conflict difference" between a family with a husband, a wife, and four kids vs a husband, two wives, and three kids. Your argument that more people means more potential for conflict. If we have two situations with 6 individuals each, please tell me why we should assume that one is going to be better than the other. If you're attempted to respond re: the number of kids, then please assume that all children are between the ages of 12 and 17 and have activities such as sports, music lessons, friends, sleep-overs, High School Musical 973, etc.

Quote:
As for evidence, I'm don't think there is any study on polygamous families with regard to conflict.
Are you a gambling man?

Sociologists have to get their doctorates somehow.

Quote:
Trying to be consistent is exactly what has lead me to my conclusion. Though I've often wondered, given how important good parenting is, if it wouldn't be better to evaluate parents before they're allowed to have children... I know that's a ridiculous violation of human rights, but the notion that we have to pass an exam to drive a car but are free to raise children if we feel like it strikes me as not quite right...
Yeah, major can o' worms.

Quote:
Despite the date displayed on my account, I've been reading debates here for years and learned a lot. Didn't want to participate due to the language barrier.
Glad you decided to participate. Your English is very good.
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,