View Single Post
Old 11-17-2008, 07:18 PM   #15
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Monance View Post
I've never been married myself so I can't really comment on that, but I guess there would still be lots of heated "disagreements".
Of course, but as I keep trying to point out, this happens in any family. Your argument is more = more and I'm ok with this, so long as we acknowledge that large family = large family. If we're going to have reservations about potential for conflict, we have to have them consistently. Else we aren't being objective.

Quote:
That's true. I'm not even trying to relate it to polygamy anymore though. All I wanted to do was defend this statement "I think it's not unreasonable to assert that families consisting of more than 2 people are more prone to conflict."
I'm okay with that so long as we acknowledge that a husband, a wife, and a child = a family "consisting of more than 2 people". Large families have to balance out the wants and needs of lots of individuals. It doesn't matter whether we're talking about a husband, five wives, and five kids or a husband, a wife, and nine kids.

To summarize, so long as you're applying your concerns consistently, you can has many or as few as you would like.

Quote:
Even if that were the case, it wouldn't be a convincing argument against polygamous families. That's what I meant to say.
It might be. I would just need to see evidence for that first. However if you aren't arguing that, then there's no reason to worry about it

Quote:
I can't prove that there is no research on it, can I? It's not like I firmly believe that there is no evidence. I was just making a random guess. I probably shouldn't do that in debate. :/
I generally try to avoid it

Quote:
Anyway, I'm not arguing against polygamous families anymore...in post 6, I stated what I believe on that matter. I wanted to defend my initial assertion about the "potential for conflict".
Ok, I am confused again, because I thought you just abandoned it
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,