View Single Post
Old 11-21-2008, 06:41 PM   #17
Lance Monance
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
Of course, but as I keep trying to point out, this happens in any family. Your argument is more = more and I'm ok with this, so long as we acknowledge that large family = large family. If we're going to have reservations about potential for conflict, we have to have them consistently. Else we aren't being objective.
And I totally agree with that.

Quote:
I'm okay with that so long as we acknowledge that a husband, a wife, and a child = a family "consisting of more than 2 people". Large families have to balance out the wants and needs of lots of individuals. It doesn't matter whether we're talking about a husband, five wives, and five kids or a husband, a wife, and nine kids.
And with that as well. =)

Quote:
To summarize, so long as you're applying your concerns consistently, you can has many or as few as you would like.
As far as I'm aware I haven't been inconsistent.
Quote:
Ok, I am confused again, because I thought you just abandoned it
I'm talking about what you refer to as more= more.

@Tommycat:
Consenting adults! If women (or men for that matter) consent to being treated badly..their business. If they are being forced then it is not what we've been talking about. As for your first point, I could probably say similar things about normal families too (surely there are lots of circumstances that create an atmosphere where children are neglected by their fathers). I'd appreciate it if you elaborated on that point, but even if it were true, unless we apply the very same reasoning to normal families it is no reason to prohibit polygamy.
Lance Monance is offline   you may: quote & reply,