View Single Post
Old 11-28-2008, 09:16 AM   #253
Alexrd

Current Game: UEFA Euro 2004
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
That's fine, but you're still not telling me what it is that you want to know?

Do I think that they were actual historical figures?

For Julius Caesar, I would say yes. We have multiple, verifiable pieces of evidence that lend themselves towards his actual existence.

As for Shakespeare, well, we know that someone wrote under that name. Whether someone by that name existed or whether "William Shakespeare" was the pen-name used by someone that wrote the works we associate with that author seems to be of little significance to me.

But we aren't talking about an Roman statesman or a English writer, we're talking about the alleged son of god and the savior of humankind. Apples and oranges, no?

Whether or not jesus was actually a historical figure would seem to be a substantially more significant question. At least in my opinion.
Yes, you're right. I just wanted to know if you were skeptical about those two too.

Quote:
I'll quibble over language just so that other readers can be clear:

I'm skeptical of the claim. I don't hold a belief regarding his non-existance.
Ok, my mistake again. Sorry.

Quote:
Yes, those sentiments can be cherry-picked from the NT. That doesn't mean that the other, less altruistic parts aren't also there.
What teachings are you reffering to? The Ten Commandments? Are they really bad?

Quote:
That may be the case in some debates you've participated in, but I think to assert that this is "always" the case is short-sighted and incorrect. Regardless, it's probably fodder for a different thread.
Ok. You are right...

Quote:
There is no objective standard as to what is christian or what is not. Your definition is no more accurate or complete than any other christian's.
But there is a standard, although not very objective but it's the definition used today: one who professes belief in Jesus as Christ or follows the religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus; one who lives according to the teachings of Jesus.

Thanks for reading.

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Alexrd is offline   you may: quote & reply,