View Single Post
Old 11-29-2008, 03:10 PM   #259
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexrdias View Post
The Roman Catholic Church, from where I belong, doesn't "wish to oppress scientific knowledge and understanding"; neither "seek to oppress homosexuals". If you say that, I need proofs.
"The Catholic Church is telling people in countries stricken by Aids not to use condoms because they have tiny holes in them through which HIV can pass - potentially exposing thousands of people to risk."

Or we can discuss the church's stance on stem cell research. Or we can discuss the church's policy of teaching doctrine which directly contradicts all modern scientific understanding of biology and cosmology (i.e. virgin births and universe origins, etc).

Quote:
As for "seek to impose their particular brand of "god" and "religion" on the rest of society.", they don't seek to impose. They seek to show their particular brand of God and religion on the rest of society. And that's what almost every religion on the world do.
We're probably going to go nowhere fast on this one. While you probably only see the carrot, it's important to note that there is also a stick. You see "educating the masses about christ". I see "threatening the masses with hell and then telling them there's only one way to avoid it". If only the former were happening, that would be one thing and our disagreement would be academic and nothing more. However this is not the case, therefore I cannot possibly share the perspective that your bias affords you.

Quote:
Could you tell me where it says that "The abuse of children" and "killing" and etc... are following the teachings of Jesus?
I could kill two birds with one stone by directing you to Mark 7 (where jesus chastises the pharisees for not killing unruly children per the OT). I think Skinwalker's point is that while you may either ignore this or interpret it differently, others don't. The entire exercise is open to interpretation making it impossible for one group to claim that they are more correct than another.
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,